Forever.

a few nights later.

"You see it?" You ask your children, pointing to the setting sun, "You see the way the light reaches through the reds and oranges?"

"It's like," Shiro wonders aloud, "It's like the fishes."

"You're right, it does kind of look like the red koi fish in the pond," Shoto agrees, "but right now? We're watching the end. The end of day, that is. A brilliant closing of color."

"So what ended?" Akane asks, crawling into her dad's lap, "What does it mean?"

"It means," he replies, "that this day is done. It means it's bed time, time to rest. Time to put an end to the day and be content with what you have."

"But what . . . " the red-haired girl says, "But what if I don't want it to end?"

You smile at her. "Everything has to come to an end, Akane. It's how the world is. We can't go on forever."

"What about tomorrow?" Shiro tilts his head.

"Tomorrow will come to an end, as well," Your husband answers, "and this same sun will set, in the same place, at the same time."

"So we can watch it set again tomorrow?" Your daughter smiles.

"Yep," he says, hugging her softly.

Shiro holds your hand and yawns. "So . . . it will go on forever? Where does the sun go when it sets?"

"It just takes a nap," Shoto laughs, "so the moon can come out and play."

"What about the stars?" Akane asks him.

"The stars are always there," you say to her, "always and forever."

"Like Mommy and Daddy!" Shiro grins, "Like Akane!"

Your husband closes his eyes. "Family is forever. We'll love you both, forever and ever."

Akane tilts her head. "How long is forever?"

"Forever is always," you laugh, "we may not be together for forever, but our love will remain. Our story."

"Our story?"

"Our impact, you know?" You tell your son, "I think we've done some good things. I hope so."

"Of course, Mommy," your children both say, hugging you. Shoto leans on your shoulder, wrapping an arm around the twins.

"How long will I love you?" He asks them.

"Forever!" They shout in unison, fighting back their yawns. 

"Forever and always."

Ethereal | Shoto Todoroki x Reader:

◆     The End