Decision

Part 2: Chapter 26 

Decision

Hiro Mizuki

"You must make a decision, Your Majesty. Do you want to execute the King Killer?"

Hiro fumbles with his hands. 

Stain, the King Killer.

His father's murderer. Should he execute him or set him free?

"I am a king, Mirashi, not a god. My hand should take no place in life or death," Hiro states, longing for his guide dog to take him out of the room. But since she's hurt, all he has is Mirashi, his father's advisor that was passed down to him.

"So this is about morals?" Mirashi counteracts, getting bored of the argument.

"I never said that," Hiro sighs, "I'd just rather not become a murderer anytime soon."

"So it is about morals." Hiro feels the advisor sit down beside him, sighing. "Listen, if you're trying to be like your father, I want you to know that he wasn't the perfect man."

The king rolls his eyes. He forgot that Mirashi absolutely worshipped his dad, so of course he didn't realize how much Hiro feared him.

"Your father held executions too," Mirashi pats Hiro on the back, "justice is a part of the job, Your Majesty. It happens. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the murderer die myself. He killed Mizuki, and you could be next."

Hiro doesn't want to think about it anymore. He sort of wishes that the Todoroki kingdom had done it themselves. He wonders what his sister would do.

"Just take me to see Kyuen," Hiro mumbles, standing up. 

"As you wish, Your Grace."

"Kyuen was badly hurt, but she's been doing well!"

"I'm glad," Hiro smiles, "could you ask her if it still hurts?"

"Oh, she's said she's doing better now. I think she's ready to be by your side again!"

Hiro hears the man stand up, and he imagines him smiling.

And when Hiro feels his dog nudge his hand, he almost cries. He can't see her, but he recognizes her touch. He leans down to hug her, nuzzling his face in her fur. 

"Kyuen," he smiles, saying her name, "Kyyyuueeennn~"

She pants, pawing him on the lap. Hiro laughs, standing up.

But then the king bows.

"Koji Koda, I want to thank you for saving my dog. I am forever in your favor."

"O-Oh, Your Majesty!" Koda stutters, "I didn't save her, I just encouraged her on her path to getting better. It really wasn't—"

"It was everything to me, so thank you."

The man is silent for a moment, but then he responds, a smile in his voice. 

"It was my pleasure!"

After leaving, the king praises his friend.

"Wow, Mirashi," Hiro smiles, patting his dog, "thanks for recommending him. He really helped her, I think."

"He's got a wonderful quirk, perfect for working with animals," Mirashi beams, "of course he's a shepherd, but I felt it was necessary to call him to the palace."

"He's a shepherd? For some reason I'm not surprised," Hiro says, "he seemed pretty soft spoken. I like him."

"I as well, Your Majesty."

A shepherd, huh? Hiro thinks, maybe . . . he could help me.

The blind king clears his throat, waving his hand. "Now that I have Kyuen, it's not necessary for you to follow me around everywhere I go."

Hiro feels Mirashi bow. "Of course, Your Majesty."

As soon as the king hears his advisor's footsteps fade away, he pats his dog.

"Let's go find Koda."

"Excuse me? Koda?"

He hears the man snap up at the sound of the ruler's voice. "Your Majesty?"

"I think I could use some advice," Hiro sits on a bench, Kyuen leading his way, "you're a shepherd?"

"Oh, yes," Koda sits beside the king, "although I'm not sure what a king would need from someone like me."

"Is it . . . Is it hard?"

"What do you mean, Your Majesty?"

Hiro fumbles with his hands. "Killing the lambs that don't make the cut."

Koda is quiet for a moment, and it makes Hiro nervous. Is it a sensitive topic, perhaps?

"Always," Koda whispers, "It's always difficult, but I have to feed my family."

"How do you make the decision?"

The shepherd thinks for a moment. "If the lamb doesn't make the cut, then they have to go. There isn't really a decision. I either send away an animal, or risk poverty for my family. Yes, it's hard, and I feel awful, but it's how it goes."

Hiro rests his chin on his hands. 

"S-Sorry for rambling," Koda mutters, "but it does help than I'm not the one . . . y'know . . . doing the job."

"But what if . . . " Hiro starts, taking a breath, "what if it's not a sheep that I'm going to kill?"

He shakes his head, feeling awkward all of a sudden and turning his head. "Sorry if I've been staring. It's a habit. I hear a voice and imagine the person."

"It's fine," Koda assures him, pausing. " . . . How do you imagine me?"

"Well," Hiro smiles, "since I've seen people before it's not that hard to just use my imagination. There's a lot you can learn from just a voice."

The king tilts his head, imagining the man who saved his pet. 

"You're probably very strong," He assumes, "most shepherds are. In my head you're tall and sort of scary looking, but you seem like you care for animals a lot. It's sweet. Though I can't say much else since I haven't known you that long."

Hiro turns to Koda, smiling. "How close was I?"

"I-I guess you were cl-close," Koda stutters, a hint of embarrassment in his voice, "but I'm probably a lot different than you think . . ."

"Aren't we all? Appearances can be deceiving, and you're hearing that from a blind man." Hiro laughs, sighing. His mind drifts back to the Stain problem. Based off of Koda's advice, it sounds like he should kill him.

"If it's not a sheep you're going to kill," Koda whispers, standing up, "then you probably shouldn't kill at all."

Hiro nods as the man walks away, off to his pastures to care for his sheep.

He's made his decision. He can't kill another human, even if it's indirectly.