25 | Allies

◆

"I know you're hiding something," Bakugou snarls, "I'm not an idiot."

Of course he has to confront you right after dinner. Of course he can't just go to sleep and leave in the morning. 

"I'm not an idiot either, Katsuki," you say, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Tsk." He crosses his arms, jerking his head towards his mother. "If there's nothing wrong, then where's the king? Why hasn't he talked to her yet? There's something going on, isn't there?"

You gotta admit, he's smarter than he looks.

"Listen, Katsuki," you say, "I don't care what goes on in your kingdom, but this isn't any of your business. If you were really concerned, you wouldn't end every sentence with an insult."

You start to walk away, sweating at the thought of Bakugou, of all people, to figure out the King is injured. It would be even worse if he found out why.

You're why.

A hand grabs your arm from behind, gentler than you would've expected. Katsuki sighs.

"Listen Princess, I'm not saying I know everything, or that our kingdom is better than yours. I just want you to know that we're on your side. That's the real reason we're here anyways."

He lets go then struts off before you can say anything, immediately stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"...That's the real reason we're here anyways."

What's that supposed to mean?

"It's the middle of the night," Takahashi groans, "What in the world could they want?"

You scoff. "You would be awake anyways Takahashi. Unless you're dozing off on duty?"

"I would never!" He laughs.

You both turn the corner to Shoto's room, as the Bakugou's called for you both to appear. You knock on the door, then hear rustling from inside. 

"Hmmm?" Shoto mumbles, cracking open the door just enough to reveal his tired state.

His hair is sticking up and disheveled, mixing the red and white. He immediately blushes at the sight of you and runs his hands through his hair.

"Princess? At this time of night?" He asks.

You gesture to Takahashi beside you. "Apparently Queen Mizuki wants to chat. Something important."

"Hmm."

You walk silently the rest of the way.

 ◆ 

"Forgive me for calling you at such an hour," Queen Mizuki whispers, her hands folded in her lap, "I wanted to make sure no one could hear us."

The Queen eyes Takahashi, who's standing next to you and Shoto. "Are you sure you can trust him?"

Shoto and you both nod. Takahashi tenses up.

The room is dark, dimly lit by a lantern in the corner. Queen Mitsuki sits on her bed, her son in a chair close by, avoiding eye contact. You, Shoto, and Takahashi sit across from them.

They have their own gaurd in the corner of the room.

"My husband is sick," the foreign queen sighs, "that's the real reason he's not here. Food poisoning, and we think it was purposely. He's been ill for days after eating fish, even though we had people eat it before him." Her words get sharper every sentence, dripping with the anger of a wife without her husband.

"No offense," you say, "but what would that have to do with us?"

She grins. "That's the point. Both me and my son have noticed the absence of the king. And," she pauses, "if you weren't aware, King Toshinori is also comatose."

"Are you saying someone's poisoning the kings?" Takahashi asks.

Queen Mitsuki nods. "Exactly. So," she says, "tell me: what exactly happened to Endeavor?"

She snarls the last word, looking at Shoto, using his father's nickname as if to provoke him.

The prince doesn't react, instead responding: "Why should we?"

The queen looks taken aback. "Can't you see? Our kingdom are losing their kings, and the people don't even know it. We. Are. Sitting ducks."

"I am aware," Shoto replies, unwavering.

You don't say anything, in fear of messing up Shoto's plan. He's up to something.

"...but I want to hear you say it," your fiancé continues, "You are implying an alliance, but you're waiting for either of us to suggest it."

The Queen and her son look at each other.

Shoto doesn't say anything more. 

You both wait.

Takahashi shifts on his feet, mumbling to himself.

He's been acting weird ever since we went into this room, You think, what's wrong with him?

"Fine, you're correct," the Queen sighs, "I want us to have an alliance, at least until we find the perpetrator. I want it to be kept secret, though, because I believe there are spies in each of our kingdoms."

She goes on to explain that after they leave, the Bakugou Kingdom and the Todoroki Kingdom will use doves to communicate, a message tied onto their ankle. Simple enough, you think.

You then go on, telling them what happened with your quirk and the king. They look surprised, but aren't rude about it, much to your surprise. 

"Surely he would've recovered by now," Katsuki pipes in, the first thing he's said the whole time. "Someone is probably tampering with him, so he's in a coma longer. I may be wrong, but just think about it."

You leave the room with your gaurd and Shoto, heading back to sleep, with thoughts of the traitor on your mind.

Who would do this? Poison the king? Multiple kings? You glance to your side, where Takahashi is standing.

He's immediately back to normal, joking on the way.

What was wrong with him? Why was he acting so interested?

You don't want to think it, but you do.

Is Takahashi involved in the acts of treason?

Treason...that has a penalty for execution?

A/N:

Follow me for updates on the next chapter! I'll try uploading more, although I can't really promise anything.

So, do you think Takahashi is secretly evil? If not, what's wrong with him??

I like hearing your theories! ;)