54 | Blue Flames

King Mizuki rips his wrist from Shoto's hand, storming off for the second time that night. Your fiancé immediately turns to hug you, and you crumble in his arms.

"Thank you," you whisper to him, feeling safer than you ever have in the presence of so many people. 

Takahashi and Hiro grin at each other.

You pull away from Shoto, missing his warmth immediately, and smile at him. He returns the gesture, blushing. You realize why, and you're suddenly embarrassed, because you're still wearing the revealing dress covered in bean stains.

You sense Takahashi tense up beside you, and when you look at him, his face is twisted in pain. Hiro looks at him quizzically.

"Takahashi?" He asks, "Are you okay?"

He puts his hand on his heart. "I feel . . . I feel like . . . "

He tilts his head, then starts walking towards the exit to the hall. It's like he's in a trance.

"Takahashi?"

"Someone's there," he whispers, just loud enough so you can hear, "I feel like there's someone that needs me."

And with that, he leaves, rushing off to save someone unseen. 

"That was weird," Hiro mutters to you. 

"He's been a little different ever since . . . " Shoto starts, and you're sort of surprised he's paid attention to your guard.

"He's under the influence of a quirk," You explain to your brother, who you can sense is already missing his new friend, "A mind-controlling type. Really mysterious stuff."

"Ah," Hiro nods, "that makes sense."

Now it's just you, Hiro, and Shoto, and you shift on your feet, unsure what to say. Should you talk about your father's outburst? Or should you change the subject entirely?

Thankfully, Shoto changes it for you. "Do you guys smell something?"

You sniff the air, and it's tinted with a slight burning smell, as if someone forgot to take a cake out of the oven.

"Now that you mention it," Hiro sniffs, "yeah. Like smoke."

You glance at Shoto. "Where's the king?"

He points across the room, where the flame king is speaking with the Iida family. The Yaoyorozus listen in.

"Did we miss something?" You question.

You all flock over to the conversation, their voices immediately peircing your ears.

" . . . very secure. We have double the amount of guards stationed than usual. I've even allowed you to take five guards instead of four, so please, be at ease," King Todoroki sighs, clearly uncomfortable.

The Iidas nod to each other. "I suppose," King Iida hums, "you are right. Maybe we are just stressed."

You tilt your head. Are they that concerned about the security of the palace? From what Tenya said to you earlier, you're not surprised, but do they really think there's going to be another attack?

Although this would be the perfect time to take down the castle. A bunch of royals gathered in one spot? Perfect.

You shiver. You suddenly have a feeling something very bad is about to happen.

"Everyone!" A guard bursts through the door, her face covered in sweat, "Everyone out now! The traitors have breached the palace!"

The rooms erupts in chatter and gasps, and all of the guards are hustling the royals out of the room. 

"How can we trust you?" You see someone ask the female guard who caused the ruckus.

"I saw them!" She huffs, "Everyone needs to get out!"

Hiro grabs your arm, and Shoto's eyes flick around the room, and they land on his father. You think you see him let out a sigh of relief.

People rush out of the room, and the halls are crowded, and you can smell something in the air again. It's getting stronger.

Hiro suddenly stops in the mass of people. "What about Takahashi? And King Mizuki?"

His eyes are locked onto yours, and you can tell he wants to run and find them. 

You nod, and he runs off, to be the hero he's always been to you.

You clutch Shoto's hand, suddenly regretting letting your brother run off to who knows where.

Because ahead? 

Blue flames engulf the halls, and smoke pierces your lungs, and you really feel lightheaded and wow is that Hitoka running over there?

You shake your head, tightening your hold on Shoto's hand. He looks you in the eyes, and it feels like your head is cleared, and you have only one goal set in mind.

Get out alive, with your fiancé by your side.