Ethereal ◆ Shoto Todoroki x R...

By carlyandcarson33

The perfect princess, soon to be the perfect ruler. It is your duty to find a husband and be a good queen. Y... More

1 | For the Kingdom
2 | A Good Queen
3 | Let the Party Begin
4 | Not Again
5 | Nightmare
6 | Goodbye
7 | Smile and Nod
8 | Closer
9 | The Past
10 | The Plan
11 | Playing Pretend
12 | The Royal Line Retold
13 | They Would Do Anything
14 | Purple is for Royals
15 | I'm not Pretending
16 | Ashes
17 | Warmth
18 | The City of Ash
19 | Done.
20 | Dangerous
20.5 | Not Alone (2k reads special)
21 | Please
22 | Pieces of a Bigger Puzzle
23 | Relax
24 | Change
25 | Allies
26 | Something to Him
27 | Explanations and Complications
28 | Awakened
29 | Tears
29.5 | Fears
30 | Questions
31 | Poison
32 | Denial
33 | Regret
34 | Betrayed
35 | Safe
36 | Leap
36.5 | Angel
Q&A and Poll
37 | Try or Die
38 | Proposal
39 | I'm Fine
40 | Save Me
41 | An Order
sneak peek + things
42 | Control
43 | Useless
43.5 | Relatives
44 | One Week Later
45 | Diary
46 | Memories
47 | Smile
48 | Not So Quirkless
a quick thank you
48.5 | The Prince's Question
49 | Fake Love & Forced Smiles
49.5 | Kill My Family
◆ Character Profiles ◆
50 | Secrets
51 | Scandalous
51.5 | One by One
52 | A Single Bean
53 | Temper
Ethereal's first fanart <3
54 | Blue Flames
54.5 | Together
55 | Watch it Burn
55.5 | Escape
56 | Help
56.5 | Advisors
57 | Life by Lightning
57.5 | Justice
Epilogue
Author's Note
Part 2 Preview | Requiem
The Blind King
Gone
Entry 1
The Beginning of the End
Entry 2
Trust Yourself
Entry 3
Not a Goodbye
Entry 4
Still With You
Entry 5
What if
Promise
The Future
I Want It
Entry 6
A Final Goodbye
Good News
Spread the News
Overseas
Plus Ultra
Falcon
Return
Not Again
Bloodline
Shard
Not Today
The Dead King's Heir
A Coward's Son
An Arrogant Prince
5 days later (200k reads special)
The Reveal
Names!
Decision
Guillotine
Traitor
Just a Queen
Compromise
For the Future
Sacrifice
Alive
5 years later
I Love You
Forever.
Author's Note
Many Years Ago (16k votes special)

53.5 | Go Down in Flames

6.7K 312 59
By carlyandcarson33

 ◆

Hitoka shivers.

She can't let this happen. What would Shinso think of her right now? And Takahashi?

She can't. She won't.

"Hitoka," Dabi says as they both crouch outside of the castle walls. "You remember the plan, right?"

She scoffs. "Of course. All of our lives have been leading to this moment."

Dabi turns to her, looking her in her eyes. "Get in, get out. If you're not out in the next ten minutes, we're not waiting for you."

Hitoka nods. "I'm not stupid."

"We'll see about that," the scarred man replies. "Now go. In then out. Shigaraki has little patience."

Hitoka does as she's told, knowing full well that it's not Shigaraki that is going to start the plan. Dabi's indirectly telling her that he won't wait, either.

 ◆

She's inside, only thanks to Kurogiri's quirk.

The walls are as she's remembered them, clean, but the Kurisumasu decorations are gone. 

She runs through the halls, surprised to find them empty. Where is everyone? She doesn't even see any guards.

She has to warn someone.

She can't stop the League's attack, but she can choose to not be a part of it.

Screw Shigaraki's plan. She just has to find someone to warn the royals. Maybe they'll escape, at least. 

Maybe Takahashi will get out if she warns someone in time.

Her bare feet are sore from running, but she has to keep going. If only she knew were everyone was gathered, then she would have more time to help them. All she knows is that there's some party going on.

That's why the League wanted to initiate the plan so quickly.

"Like killing five royals with one stone," she remembers Shigaraki saying.

Hitoka's eyes scan the halls, and in desperation she tries to call out for someone. Someone. Anyone.

At last, a guard appears from around the corner, tilting her head in confusion. Her hair is in a tight bun, and a sword is at her hip. When she sees Hitoka, her eyes light up in recognition and her mouth forms a scowl.

"Hey! You're the trai--"

Hitoka runs to the guard, hugging her tight and covering her mouth. She tries to be as gentle as she can.

She doesn't want to hurt anymore people.

The guard must see the desperation in Hitoka's eyes, because she doesn't fight her, instead she's quiet, her eyes scanning the traitor clinging to her.

"Listen to me," Hitoka growls, "Something very, very bad is about to happen. You have to get everyone out. There's not much time."

The guard nods, and Hitoka lets go of her. 

"But why are y--"

Hitoka interrupts her. "Tell the princess," she pauses, thinking of what to say, of how she could possibly sum up all of her emotions in such a rush. "Tell the princess I'm sorry."

Then the guard runs off, shouting for others to help her evacuate the castle.

For once in a really, really long time, Hitoka smiles. 

This one good deed could never outweigh all the wrong she's done, but maybe, just maybe, she would no longer be called a traitor.

Maybe someday, she can redeem herself. 

Hitoka feels relieved. Her mind relaxes, despite the danger she knows everyone is about to be in.

But her relief melts away when she smells the smoke.

 ◆

She thought she had ten minutes. It's been five, at most. Did Dabi lie? Surely he wouldn't. Maybe he wouldn't.

She knows he would.

He must've seen the way she hesitated to help the Duke. The way the princess still isn't dead.

He must've decided she's better off dead.

She won't die. She won't burn with the castle that took everything away from her. She won't lose her life in the place that has taken everything else.

She won't die because she won't let Dabi live with this. She won't let the League take more from her.

She'll end them herself.

Her heart pulses with rage, even as she inhales more and more smoke. She covers her mouth with her shirt, hoping desperately that the guard had enough time to warn everyone.

Even now she imagines Dabi's grin as he sets fire to the castle, and Toga's laugh as she slaughters those who try to escape the blue flames.

She has to find the princess. She promised herself she wouldn't let her die. 

A part of her is hoping she'll find Takahashi along the way.

She runs through the halls, watching as guards, maids, and other palace staff pile out of every room, rushing to the exit. 

That means the guard warned some of them.

But still, there's no sign of any of the royals.

Hitoka stops when she hears crying.

A lady. From the room down the hall. Would someone leave their family in such a hurry?

No, they wouldn't. Not on accident.

Her veins boil with anger hotter than the growing heat around her, and Hitoka rushes to the room where the crying comes from.

When the door doesn't open, she slams her body against it, over, and over, and over, until it falls to the ground. 

A girl sits in the middle of the room, and she looks no younger than Hitoka herself. 

"Get up!" Hitoka shouts, her voice hoarse from inhaling the smoke, "We have to get out of here!"

The girl sobs harder, clutching her arm. Hitoka runs to her and scoops her up, glad she's not that heavy.

She tries to console the sobbing girl, but her voice catches when she sees the girl's arm. It's twisted and bruised, and it must be horribly painful. What in the world happened? 

Hitoka doesn't have enough time to think. 

Her mind is growing fuzzy from being in the smoke too long. The girl is getting heavier by the second. 

She sets her down, pushing her along.

"Hurry," she tells her, "run as fast as you can. I think I heard a person in another room. Leave me. I'll be right there."

The girl, who's probably only a year or two younger than Hitoka, nods. Then she runs off, filled with the hope that she'll see her savior again.

Hitoka was lying.

It's what she's best at, after all.

She didn't hear anyone. She could just tell the girl wouldn't leave her alone, despite her broken arm and the blue flames settling around them.

So she lied to get her to run. 

She has to find the princess. She has to do something. She has to help someone. 

From the way the girl's running, she probably won't make it out alive. Hitoka can't bear seeing her die, so she runs down the other corridor, the floor growing hot under her feet.

A window.

She has to find a window.

At the end of the hall, a window leads to the courtyard, and she runs as fast as she's ever run.

It won't open.

It won't open.

She pounds on the glass, now sobbing herself.

And in that moment, it's like she can see her future fade away, as the sound of the roof above her caving in overcomes the sound of her sobs.

 ◆

Dabi grins, brushing his hand against the outside of the castle and watching as the blue flames lick across the walls. 

Shigaraki smiles. Everything is going according to plan. Soon, the Todoroki palace will be nothing but ash.

He laughs as the palace's walls start to crumble and it caves in on itself. The sounds of screaming fill the air.

The irony. That's his favorite part.

The Kingdom of Fire will go down in flames.

 ◆

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 15 7
*free for anyone else to use* d a t a l o a d i n g . . . p l a y e r o n e r e a d y . . . g a m e s t a r t as much as I love BNHA, it does...
7.1K 211 15
"𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞." where y/n finds herself as the personal assistant of an overwo...
19.8K 679 17
"If you love someone, you dont hesitation to push the person away, if it meant they were happy." Marriage is often described in books and movies as "...
297K 11.6K 28
ꗃ 𝐬. 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐢 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐝: 𝟎𝟕/𝟏𝟕/𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝: 𝟏𝟎/𝟎𝟗/𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 !𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐱 𝐟𝐞𝐦!𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫! 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐥...