XXX

SPECIAL: KRISTIE, PART I

You know, those weird recaps at the beginning of some TV show's episodes, when a weird narrative voice takes over and has a long, often useless, monologue to remind us of what we've seen yet, although we have been binge-watching the whole series and don't need to be reminded of the episode we've seen two minutes ago? Well, let me break it down for you: here is my special recap, not only because I like to talk about myself and my life, but also because you morons probably don't know where I'm at since everybody's so absorbed with Christen's tragic love story with Abby.

Anyway, my name's Kristen 'Kristie' Anne Mewis, and I am the older sister of a modest clan of two. I am a student at Azusa Pacific University, which is only a one-hour drive from the city I was born in and spent all my life in: Orange. Since COVID-19 decided to just ruin the whole year and those to come, well classes are online and I am just spending countless hours in the tiny yet cozy  two-rooms apartment my sister and I own. Thankfully, Sam's always been nothing but kind and just not a bitch at all, contrary to me, so we've been quite happy since we have lived together. Our mother being in the hospital for breast cancer, we only have each other to rely on. After our father's passing, we grew closer, but also closer to our half-sister (although the tiny blonde sometimes gets on my nerves).

Furthermore, it might be useful to mention that my crazy ex-girlfriend (well, if we were once considered to be dating) was back in town with her annoying Elizabeth II-like accent, and she was just... the same she used to be. Okay, maybe she's not that crazy, but I need to hate her because the opposite would be quite dramatic, even for me. 

Also, I decided to pulverise the Press family, since, 1) they have something to do with my father's passing, and probably numerous other deaths that everybody seem to have forgotten about but me, and I cannot wait to uncover the truth and destroy them, and 2) for some obscure and unknown reasons, my half-sister has set her heart on the coldly beautiful and mysterious Christen Press, who only happens to be a victim of her insane family, and although I don't know her that well, I kinda feel bad for her, without mentioning that I like to play match-maker, and from what I've seen and heard, she and Abby would be just perfect for each other, like soulmates or some shit.

So it is I, Kristie Mewis, who needs to fix things. And I intend to do that in style... 

Remember the file I stole from Mr Press' office with pictures of my father and numerous other influential people in Orange County as a whole? Well, I have made some digging the past few weeks, and my current findings are:

1) Andrew Dahlkemper was the gang leader of the Dragons

2) Mr Press and him were best buddies since college or something

3) The Press family has connections with several political figures, starting with Mr O'Hara, my friend Kelley's father.

4) The same family is intending on using their most intelligent daughter so that she would unite the different clans and assure their dominance over the city, forcing her to marry a complete stranger.

5) My name is on a mysterious list, as well as Abby's, so I need to figure out why.

***

Usually, during lunch breaks, Sam and I would sit down together and eat the result of a cooking show my little sister tries to make for herself every morning, as I would take care of the evening meal. This time, we are both seated, trying to not fall asleep after four hours of online classes spent for most of the time on our beds - well, I speak for myself right now, oops. Sam has bags under her eyes, and I know she is not only worried about her college degree: Abby, sitting in front of us, looks like a ghost. I know she has been working for the Press since her abduction, and both Sam and myself are pretty afraid that she is getting too close to the sun with her magnificent wings.

After a few minutes of silence, Sam turns the TV on, and a familiar voice takes over the deadly silence reigning in the room. The three of us immediately lift our eyes toward the TV, as Stacey Press is all smiles in front of countless numbers of cameras and microphones:

"Dear people of Orange" she starts on a deceitful tone, as the camera un-zooms, and that other people appear on the stage. Right next to the businesswoman is standing Christen, and she doesn't seem very happy, as Stacey Press continues: "Today is a magnificent day: not only our brilliant daughter, Christen, has signed a two-years contract that would put the corporation in between her hands at the end it, but she has a joyful announcement that might as well just be the announcement of the decade. Honey, the microphone's yours."

As the woman hypocritically hugs her daughter, my eyes turn toward Abby, who seems mesmerised at the sight of the dark-haired standing there, in front of all those people, looking so damn sad and unhealthy. Sam is holding our sister's hand, as we anxiously wait for the announcement that was about to be made. 

Holding her breath as she speaks (I don't even know how that is possible), Christen takes on a voice filled with honey as she says, staring straight at the camera, reading the note she has in her hands from time to time:

"Good day, everybody, and thank you for coming. Indeed, as my mother told you, I have an exciting news that might change a bit the way you see me, although it is the 21rst Century already. As most of the people who know me have known for several years now, I only have eyes for women, and not men. More recently, I only have had for one girl in particular, and..."

Christen's voice breaks, as a brief flash of sadness goes through her eyes. 

My eyes immediately search for Abby's, as the blonde did not even realise that both Sam and I were staring at her with insistance. She was just staring at the screen, somewhat scared of the next few words that were to be pronounced.

As I stare back at the TV, Christen announces:

"... and we decided to make it official when she asked for my hand"

With that said, she exhibits the beautiful and simple diamond ring hanging at her finger. The media people start moving, trying to get a grasp of her so that she would acknowledge them and pose for their cameras. 

As a tumult can be heard, an journalist' voice raises above them all as he asks:

"Can you reveal your fiancé's identity?"

Christen nods.

Slowly, she turns around, as both her bodyguards are in the background. And that's where I see it: the livid skin tone on Shelina Zadorsky's face, a sign that neither her nor Christen agreed to this big, fat and awful lie. The brunette quietly makes her way onstage, grabbing Christen's hand as soon as she can. She is slightly taller than the dark-haired, with utterly clear eye deviating between blue and grey, and very long, smooth hair with a beautiful natural colour. She looks like a model.

Obviously, her entrance onstage raised some voices, as well as applauses. Christen and Shelina stare at each other hesitantly, before Christen grabs the back of her neck with a confident hand, going through her hair, before pulling her closer as the two exchange a quick yet believable kiss, before Christen takes a step back before facing the crowd. 

As the crowd gets quieter, Christen takes on the microphone and says:

"Meet the love of my life: Shelina Zadorsky."

Afterwards, journalists try to get near the couple, but they soon disappear, as Stacey Press takes over with other matters in hand. 

I turn around, and realise that Abby is crying softly in the arms of Sam, who stares at me with insistance. 

At that very moment, we knew that we needed to do something.