XLV

KRISTIE 

Since neither showing emotions or panicking is in my usual way of managing my ever-growing stress, I behave just like I always do: with sarcasm. 

"Oy, y'all" I let out, setting my jaw. As the thirty men and women in front of me are frowning and staring at Alex Morgan for some explanation, I just roll my eyes and continue: "I know what you're thinking: who is that annoying blonde with the amazing hair? Well, loads of you knew my dad, Andrew, and seemingly respected him more than his two previous wives. (the crowd silently look at each other, in shock) Although I never intended in following his footsteps, I have to admit that the sole idea of me leading a gang should be voted, otherwise some of you won't want me as their co-leader and revolt. So-"

"Alright, Kristie, enough" Alex orders, obviously frustrated with my way of doing things. The whispers end when she starts talking, as she continues on a more solemn tone, looking at her gang-mates: "Even though she does not look like it right now, Kristie Mewis is a born leader that was raised by one of the best man all of us knew: Andrew Dahlkemper not only did raise some of us, he also shaped the way the Dragons do things. I firmly believe that Kristie is her father's legacy, and we all know the rules: the next of kin of a Dragon leader automatically becomes, by tradition, the new Dragon leader."

Everybody on the crowd nod as one person. 

Alex stares at me with insistance, as I just stare at my hands, confused: little did I know how much my father meant to all those people, and little did they know that I was ashamed of my gang heritage, and wasn't sure still now if I was fit on becoming their new Dragon Queen.

But the brunette seems to be convinced, which isn't the care of a random dude that raises his hand and says in a confident voice:

"Can we trust her, though? I mean, we don't know shit about that girl, other than she's Andrew's daughter."

"Well" Alex lets out, raising her eyebrow, "do you trust me ?"

The man nods. 

Suddenly, I really don't feel that well anymore: now that I really think about it, I was on the verge of becoming a gang leader, and I am not sure that's something you put on your resume, like, hi, Kristie, 24, gang leader, hire me please? Alex, on the other hand, seemed so sure that I became suspicious: was she hired by the Press family? Was this some kind of trap?

After a few seconds, Alex declares:

"Then trust me on this: she is Dragon royalty, and she is your new Queen."

As the men cheer, I smile with full hypocrisy: everything inside of me was screaming, but somehow I know I needed to do this, because if it isn't me taking on this haunted legacy, it would've been either Sam or Abby, and I knew deep down that neither of them was made for the job: while Sam was too fragile, Abby was too in love with our boss' daughter to be impartial. 

At least, nobody would miss me if I died. 

After greeting each and every one of the gang members, cracking a few jokes and trying to understand the dynamic of the group, I walk away in the women's toilets, breathing heavily. From what I've gathered, Alex Morgan is the Dragon Princess since she is the daughter of one of the recently deceased men that wasn't a leader in the first place, and as Andrew Dahlkemper's daughter, I was like royalty and took on the Dragon Queen role, which was more important than Alex's. Weirdly enough, it didn't seem to bother the brunette that a stranger would come in and take on her role. 

When she enters the bathroom, I immediately put my fake 'I'm ok' mask on and sigh. But she didn't seem to fall of it like everybody else: rather, she puts her hand on my shoulder and softly says:

"It's okay to be overwhelmed right now, Kristie."

"I am just fine, thank you" I sassily let out, grabbing her hand in order to put it away coldly. As Alex smirks, I continue: "And I sure as hell don't need a babysitter."

The brunette stares at me with amusement. 

"No, but you need an ally, otherwise you'll get murdered before the end of the week, Mew

"Yeah, don't call me that" 

"You should really chill out, Mew: I mean, you're a freaking gang leader, you'll be untouchable and run this damn town, plus you'll be able to protect your sisters, and-"

But my eyes are enough to make her shut up: if eyes could cut skin, Alex would be dead by now. 

Getting a little closer to her face, I whisper coldly:

"I don't know what your masterplan is there, Morgan, but I will find out soon enough. And if you betray me, or even think of a second to do so, just know that I will destroy every person you love."

Alex smirks, not taking me seriously for a second. 

"Well, it won't take you long" she states, before adding so that I don't interrupt her, staring right into my eyes: "Besides, I have absolutely zero reason to betray you: the only reason I became a leader was because the Dragons needed one in order to remain in business with Stacey Press. Furthermore, I never really wanted the job, so I am more than happy that my family will be run by someone worthy of them."

This time, I am surprised. 

"Yeah, we'll see: I haven't decided if I can trust you yet."

"Well" Alex says, grabbing my arm firmly, "I hope you will make up your mind soon, because then I'll swear my whole fidelity and loyalty, no matter what you demand, my Queen."

"This shit ain't no Game of Thrones, Alex" I react, frowning. As she cracks a smile, her bright blue eyes shining for a moment, I add: "Don't call me that: you can call me Kristie."

As she is leaving the bathroom, she smirks and only says before leaving:

"I prefer Mew."