28| Hickey

- Don't you forget about me -

"What's up with you and Hoseok?" asks Paris as we eat lunch in the cafeteria, surrounded by the usual chatter of the other students

I'm not that hungry and I've been playing with my food for the past minutes, twirling my spoon in my mashed potatoes.

"Huh?" I raise my eyes, pretending I didn't hear.

"Yeah," adds Crystal, "You usually can't shut up about your boyfriend, but you haven't been talking about him for the past two weeks, what is he up to?"

I shrug.

"He's been busy with college stuff."

I don't fool my friends, who clearly see that something is wrong. Paris takes my hand in hers.

"Girl, I'm sorry to say this, but you don't look so good. I feel like I haven't seen you smile in forever! I was waiting for you to say something, but you're clearly not going to talk, so I'm taking matters into my own hands and finally asking ; are you alright?"

I sigh, looking down.

She's right. I haven't had many reasons to smile lately. It's already been some time since I told Hoseok about me kissing someone else and since then, things have changed a lot between us. His initial anger subsided rather quickly which is a relief, but he still hasn't forgiven me yet. Instead of the burning rage he first demonstrated, now I got to deal with his rather cold treatment, petty comments, and smoldering presence.

These days, he drives me to school every morning and picks me in the parking lot at the end of classes to bring me right back to my house. He sometimes stays for dinner, and we do our homework together, or he leaves right away. As usual, he asks about my day and is friendly and respectful, kissing me goodbye when he leaves and always happy to spend time in my presence.

Except the coldness in his eyes never leaves, and I feel like I'm a criminal being questioned every time he inquires about my whereabouts.

"So, who did you talk to today at school?"

"Just Crystal and Paris..."

"That's it?"

"Yeah, I spent most of my free time in the library, reading."

"Alright..."

He always says the last words in a way that makes my chest compress with anxiety; like he needs me to know trusting my answer is a huge sacrifice for him. He obviously wants me to feel bad about what I did and recognize that he's making an effort to believe my words.

This strategy is rather malicious, and I won't fall for it. He obviously doubts my loyalty and can't trust for a second anything that's coming out of my mouth. The fact that he now has to babysit me to school and back to make sure I don't wander off with Taehyung, Jimin, and the others is clue enough that things have drastically changed between us.