47| Vengeance

No surprise when you're on his shoulder
like every night

No surprise when you're on his shoulder like every night

Sage's POV

Cold is seeping through the walls of the Academy, making students huddle for warmth near the electric heaters. The atrium is buzzing with life, friends hugging and telling each other all about their ski trip to Aspen or the Christmas gifts they received.

Hazel came back from holidays with impressive tan lines and her full head of washed out blonde hair breaded with glass beads. She's reading a psychology book in the middle of her friends who are currently bantering around her as if she doesn't exist. Guys from the soccer team are throwing a ball against the windows and one of the teachers is running after them with a whistle in her mouth. In the middle of this mess, I try to find Paris and Crystal, who both came back from vacation with their families only yesterday.

I see Crystal from afar, a wide smile spreading her lips as she waves at me from the other side of the room. I send her a wink, waving back and trying to push people around to break my way through to her without much success.

Someone grabs my elbow from behind, stopping me in my tracks. I turn around to see Jimin, a serious expression drawn on his face as he pulls me in the opposite direction from where I want to go. I immediately notice he has a black eye, deep tones of burgundy and purple puffing around his half-closed eyelid. The injury looks painful and inflamed yet I have a feeling whoever gave it to him probably had a good reason.

"I need to go see Crystal," I try to explain to him, but he simply frowns, pulling harder on my arm and trying to direct me towards the exit.

I look back to my friend. Her mouth is open in shock, eyebrows screwed in confusion. She seems surprised that one of the school's royals is holding my arm and stays immobile like a statue as I point at Jimin and shrug, indicating that I have to follow him whether I like it or not.

The girl soon disappears from my view as Jimin directs his body outside the room with ease, people stepping aside to let him through. Curious eyes are trained on the both of us as we walk, whispers following us all the way to the locker room below.

"What's up?" I ask as soon as we're far from the noise.

It's highly unlike him to even notice my presence at school, so I feel like whatever he needs me for must be important. The shrill of the first bell rings, announcing classes starting in ten minutes.

"We gotta talk," he cryptically announces, letting go of my wrist but not stopping as we slide into a secondary corridor.

"We're not allowed in here," I exclaim as he directs us to the stairs reserved for the religious Brothers inhabiting the school and climbs to the floor above.

"Don't worry, we won't get caught."

"Huh... alright," I mumble, following behind the boy hesitantly as I quickly look around to check if somebody can see us.