45 | Merry

- All the souls that would die just to feel alive -

Sage's POV

I'm applying a thick layer of raspberry jam on a waffle when Taehyung slowly walks downstairs, tired hand rubbing his face. His eyes dart around the area, searching for my dad. When he realizes I'm alone, his shoulders relax slightly.

Wide rays of sunshine illuminate the dining room, the fresh snow outside reflecting brightly on oranges and pears piling up in the middle of a large porcelain plate next to a mountain of fuming waffles. The smell of stovetop Italian espresso addictively whiffs into the room accompanied by the perfume of warm maple syrup and toasted bread.

Taehyung, wearing grey jogging pants and an old white t-shirt with holes in the collar, looks like a Calvin Klein model. He's walking around with no idea that the sight of his bed head and slightly transparent t-shirt, gold chain with the tiny cross around his neck, and underwear waistband peeking out on his hips has my hands slightly shaking.

"Good morning," I say with a coy smile.

He looks like a fluffy teddy bear with hair peaking in every direction, yet his muscular shoulders and veiny forearms tell me there is nothing cute about him.

More like sexy and dangerous.

"Good mornin'" he grumbles before sitting down at my side with a yawn.

He crosses his arms on the table and buries his face in the hole it makes, ready to fall back asleep.

"You want waffles?" I ask and he lifts his head, sending me a smirk.

"Yes!"

I push a plate in front of him as well as maple syrup. All of it is so casual it feels like any morning ever, just a continuity of an already present routine. However, so many questions burn the tip of my tongue, I can't wait for much longer and watch him take one bite of his waffle before I'm already interrogating him.

"So.... you came here last night?"

He nods, takes another bite of waffle.

"Why?" I ask, "My dad told me you tried to wake me up by throwing snowballs at my window."

He simply nods again, face closed-off and turned to his plate. I'm under the impression he doesn't want to answer my questions, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

"Did Jungkook kick you out? I saw you brought all of your things with you..."

He finally reacts, putting down his fork and looking at me with hooded amber eyes.

"We fought last night. It didn't end well."

"That's weird... you two seemed just fine yesterday afternoon."

He lets out a chuckle devoid of any joy.

"Yeah."

"So, you're staying here for the holidays?"