41| Torture

- Carafes of blood red wine -

Dinner time is chaotic. Jimin and Jungkook keep bantering loudly about video games and the best weapon against triple-stars zombies while Mrs Park complains to Mr Park about the neighbours and their bad habit of letting their crusty white dog poop on their front lawn. I receive a gigantic portion of turkey, green beans, and potatoes, smiling towards Jimin's mom as she keeps piling up more homemade ketchup on the side of my plate. Taehyung is looking at me from the corner of his eyes, amused by my obvious bashfulness.

"I think that's enough ketchup, Suzy," he says and Mrs Parks apologizes as she realizes the amount of red now covering the rest of my food.

"So sorry, Darling."

I'm on the verge of digging-in with a giant spoonful of mashed potatoes, but Taehyung grabs my wrist, and I realize that everyone is grabbing hands and looking down.

Oh.

I let go of my spoon and grab Taehyung's palm on one side, then Mr Park's hand on the other.

"Jimin, darling, you want to say grace?" asks Mrs Park.

"Sure."

I forgot that Jimin's family is highly religious. They go to church every Sunday morning and invite the town's priest, Father Lachaise, every Monday evening for dinner and tea. Mrs Park leads bible study meetings while Mr Park is the biggest donor to the church's funds and bribed the town's gym manager to only play christian music.

They really are intense in their believes, which I completely forget when I hang out with Jimin. He's one of the less holy persons I know and I'm sure if his parents knew about all the crap he's been pulling, they would disinherit him on the spot.

"Father, we thank you for this food that you provided. Thank you for meeting our physical needs of hunger and thirst..."

Jimin's voice sounds cheeky and I can't help but open an eye. He has both eyes open and is wickedly grinning towards Taehyung who is barely holding back his laughter.

"We are indeed, very thirsty, and absolutely starving today," Jimin continues, winking towards me, "bless this food to fuel our bodies. We pray that we will be energized for the very tiring nights we have ahead of us. All in the name of the glory of your kingdom. In Jesus' name, Amen."

"Amen."

Taehyung hides a laugh with a cough, his warm palm slipping away from mine.

Everyone soon digs-in and I have the time to take one bite of meat when I suddenly hear the sound of an engine roaring outside, followed by very loud metal music as a car parks right in front of the door. Jimin frowns, trying to peep through the living room window through the blinds.

"Who's this," he asks, turning to his mom.

"That must be your brother and his friend."

The silence suddenly weighs heavy around the table.