23| Goodnight

- The Less I Know The Better -

"You want to see something fun?"

It's raining like crazy outside. The water hitting the roof of my house sounds like a shower of gravel, and the tree next to the window is dangerously slanting with the wind, its thin branches screeching against the glass at every gust.

"What is it, Sage?" Taehyung asks.

His eyes are groggy despite him sleeping ten full hours, yet they sparkle with curiosity. He's still wearing my father's clothes and his hair is sticking out in every direction, a very endearing sight.

"Wanna see the basement?"

He nods enthusiastically but doesn't answer, too busy swallowing his fourth waffle. I made those while he was still sleeping, and I'm pretty sure the only reason he's awake right now is because the delicious smell traveled to his nostrils and woke him up from his slumber.

He looks good in the light, maybe even better than in the dark, all pale amber eyes and delicate lips, his long fingers extending like spiders, surprisingly white against the cherry wood of the table.

I stand up, pushing my red hair in my back and tying it in a low ponytail with an ugly scrunchie.

"Wait, right now?" Taehyung asks.

"Yeah! Right now!"

I can't help but smile as I turn around and hear him follow closely behind, swallowing one last bite of warm syrup-covered dough. The basement is the only part of the house he has never set foot in, even though he was as curious about it as I was as a kid. Still, my dad didn't let us lurk around and was pretty quick to lock the door every time he walked out of there.

"This place isn't for children."

Little did he know, I would see a dead body a lot sooner than he thought, and not by sneaking into the basement.

The key is now pretty much useless, as he lets me go in there as much as I want. He puts it above the door frame, where it's easily reachable. I quickly take it, turning the old rusty handle and walking in. The stairs to go down are narrow and steep yet familiar and I quickly jump to the last step, sending a quick smile at Taehyung before stepping in the entrance of the morgue.

"You gotta put these on," I indicate, pointing at the clean lab coats all aligned on their copper hooks.

I hand him one, then grab mine, making the metal buttons click as I fasten it. Add to that some gloves, a surgical mask and a scarf over my hair and I'm ready to go in.

"Do you need help?" I ask, smirking as I see him struggle with the buttons of his lab coat.

"I'm good," he quickly says, adjusting his mask over his nose.

"Ready to go in?"

Taehyung doesn't say a word, very attentive as I enter the code on the metal keypad beside the morgue door, which soon opens with an ominous creek.