11| Fugitive

- Some dance to remember,
some dance to forget -

Usually, my father gets tired of following me around the house and screaming after a few minutes

Usually, my father gets tired of following me around the house and screaming after a few minutes. These days, however, he's more persistent than usual and getting rid of his putrid presence is harder than expected.

"Answer me!" he yells, and I sigh, "When are you gonna finally find a job to help out?"

"Daewon, lower, I can't hear the TV," whines my mom from the living room.

I peek through the doorway and see that she's sprawled on the sofa, cigarette in hand and cold slices of pizza displayed in front of her in paper plates. When she sees that I'm staring, she sends me a lethal glare.

"What are you lookin' at?"

Frowning, I turn away, facing my father again, who is still following me like a dog. I think something died in his mouth and not even the stench of alcohol can hide his horrible breath.

"So? I'm talking to you son! When are you gonna find a job?"

"I – I don't know," I say, opening the fridge to grab the milk carton.

"What about your lil' lover? Heh? I know he bought you a new laptop at the beginning of the semester! You should sell it! Heh? This way maybe we could send your sisters to the academy!"

I take out the Lucky Charms from the cupboard and make myself a cereal bowl, planting a spoon in it and taking a big mouthful. I already know that if I sell my computer to give him the money, he will spend it on booze.

"I don't know," I mumble, and he walks up to me, looking at my figure from above with mean bloodshot eyes.

"You don't know anything, am I right? Fucking imbecile, I knew there was something wrong with you."

He spits directly at my feet and then sends me a smile before turning to the living room.

"I think our son's head isn't screwed right," he yells to my mom.

"Really?" she replies from the sofa, and I know without a doubt that she didn't even hear what he just said.

She just doesn't care. It was always like that.

I'm pretty sure she didn't even acknowledge my existence when I came out of her all screaming and bloody from her womb.

I finish my cereals in two spoonfuls, then toss my dirty bowl on the mountain of dishes that's rotting in the sink. Already the smell is pretty bad.

"Hey! Where are you going, you disrespectful lil' bitch?" my father hisses in my back, but I ignore him to get to my bedroom.

Well, it's not my bedroom, it's the bedroom I share with two of my sisters. I walk in, closing the door behind me and find Kristen at the desk, doing her homework.