9| Ashen

- After all the breath, and the dirt, 
and the fires are burnt -

"Hey, by the way, they found out who murdered that girl at the party," says Jimin as we go down another unending flight of stairs

"Who was it?" asks Taehyung in my back.

"The boyfriend! Can you imagine!" announces Yoongi, turning to smile at us, and Jimin shoves him in the back, pressing him to go down faster.

"I would never have guessed," whispers Taehyung in my ear, low enough so that I'm the only one to hear and I grin at the irony, a shiver going up my spine when his hot breath fans over my neck.

"When is the trial?" asks Jungkook.

"Why? You want to go?" inquires Yoongi.

"Yeah, it could be fun..."

"We definitely don't have the same definition of fun," states Jimin, "Boring lawyer crap sounds awful."

"I would come with you, but I'm afraid the guards at the door will arrest me if they see my face," states Taehyung.

"Why? What did you do?" I ask, and the four of them look at each other knowingly and smirk while I'm left in the dark.

We arrive at the basement and Yoongi, who is in the front, takes his phone out to illuminate the space ahead of us. It is wide and empty, probably used back then as a warehouse to stock the bricks.

"Does it have to do with the fact that you were suspended the second week of school?" I ask.

"How does she even know that!" exclaims Yoongi to Jimin, then he turns to me, "How do you know he got suspended? We told everyone he was sick!"

"I just..."

I just know him.

That is what I was going to say, but I hold it in, because it's not true anymore. Instead I decide not to say another word, and hope they change the subject.

"You just what?"

Jungkook's tone is frigid and he turns back to look at me, hostility leaking from his hard gaze.

"I – It was just a wild guess," I stutter, and he doesn't seem satisfied but turns around nonetheless towards the darkness.

There are some forgotten broken bricks laying on the ground and my foot slams into one that I didn't see previously, making me topple over and crash into Jungkook's back.

"Fuck! Watch where you're going," he mutters, and I hold back a nervous laugh.

My toes hurt and I feel like a disgrace.

"Sorry."

Finally, we reach the end of the basement, and Yoongi points at a very rusty-looking door in front of us.