16| Hard

- Turn me on, take me for a hard ride, burn me out, leave me on the other side -

"I'm surprised there were so many people at the party even though it's Wednesday and there is still school tomorrow," I tell Hoseok while he walks me home, holding my hand and following as I zigzag in the middle of the street

"It's a senior thing," he explains, "everyone is just sick of high school at this point and even the nerdiest of all just want to take the edge off. It's such a rough year, with college applications and all. You basically have to choose what you're going to do for the rest of your life when you're 17, or 16 in your case, and you're not even sure of who you are yet."

The streets are wet from when it rained earlier today, and the streetlights reflect against the asphalt, creating a path of glitters before us. I hold my raincoat closer against me to keep warm, the crisp, humid air making me shiver.

"Do you think you made the right choice?" I ask Hoseok and he nods.

"Yes. For me it was easy. I always wanted to be a police officer for as long as I can remember. I know that my dad is the sheriff and it looks like I'm just following in his steps to please him, but it really was my choice."

"You're so... whole," I tell him and smile.

He doesn't get what I mean at all and seems worried.

"By that, I mean you already have all your shit figured out. You're a real person already and you know how you're going to live in ten or twenty years... I'm not like that. I'm a mess, I don't know what I want to do yet, I don't even know what I like! I feel like every decision I make is just kind of random and I go with the flow and see where things are leading me. It's like I'm drifting away with the current while you make your own current and take real decisions for yourself."

He laughs, holding my hand tighter.

"God. I forgot how philosophical you get when you're drunk."

I press my lips together, feeling my heart sink in my chest. The fact Hoseok has his life figured out and knows what he wants is insanely attractive. I was so impressed by his maturity, by how ready he was for adulthood when I started hanging out with him. I thought that maybe, just by socializing with someone like that, a bit of his wisdom would rub off on me and I would figure out who I am. Turns out I still have no idea and he doesn't get how lost I feel, because he's just not wired like me.

"Hey, are you cold?" he asks, and tugs on my hand so I get closer.

I lean on his side, resting my head against his shoulder while he slides his arm around my waist.

"I'm not, but if you could just hold me like that it would be great," I say, and he chuckles.

"So, you really don't know what you want to do?" he asks softly.