40| Cigarette Duet

- Honey, can't you trust me -

Sage's POV

It's already dark outside, the streetlamps illuminating tiny disparate snowflakes descending from the sky. Christmas is in less than a week and the scenery feels like a shot from the Nutcracker ballet, heavy whipped cream covering every inch of the ground and looking almost purple in the night, covering the trees and the lights hanging from every windowsill. I take a few tentative steps, breaking the thin layer of ice covering the stairs as I go up, then walk to the door.

Jimin's house is not as gigantic as Paris or Jungkook's, yet the size is noticeable. I hesitate on the threshold, counting ten windows, two chimneys, and one plastic Santa on the roof. The dwelling is a classic colonial design made of red bricks from the now-abandoned factory. From the outside, it looks like the perfect Ikea magazine cover, the thick layer of snow covering the heavily decorated house making it resemble a gingerbread dream.

My heart is heavy as I look up to the sky at the grey clouds dissimulating every star tonight, and I breathe-in the minty, freezing air, closing my eyes for a second as I feel the tiny specks of ice melt on my cheeks. Something hits different about the untouched snow covering everything, not even tire marks from cars breaking the fresh blanket of cold.

Come on, you came all this way, this isn't the time to back down.

I let out a breath and press the doorbell, hearing its muffled chime resonate inside, then someone noisily walks to the front door and opens it.

"Hello! I'm so happy to meet you! Come in!"

Before I'm even fully in, who I assume is Jimin's mom starts grabbing my coat and scarf to get me out of them. She has that classic mid-forty bowl cut and sports gigantic pearl earrings, her mouth covered in thick red lipstick. I get a strong whiff of Chanel No.5 as she hugs me in between chubby arms and almost chokes me to death.

"So glad Jimin is finally inviting a girl home, I've been badgering him since forever to meet his lady friends. Darling, you look like you're freezing, do you want something to eat? Dinner will be ready soon, but I can get you a snack."

"I'm good, thank you so much," I nervously let out, awkwardly patting her back until she lets me go, "Your house is lovely."

"You're too nice! Now come in, don't be shy, Jimin is downstairs."

She starts walking and I follow her, curiously looking around. The blonde hardwood floors match plush rugs and comfortable furniture all in tones of white, beige and baby blue. It looks like a Christmas bomb exploded in here and everything is covered in tiny Santa Claus patterned decorations, a giant Christmas tree sitting in the middle of the living room beside a grand piano, just across a fireplace.

"You're so pretty, I love your hair, it's so bright and lively."

"Thank you... I love your earrings."