31| Scream

- Darker in the day than the dead of night -

I'm so sad today, it's plummeting. I didn't even know my body was capable of being inhabited by such melancholy. The feeling is soul crushing, dragging me down like a ball and a chain attached somewhere in my chest and making it impossible for me to move one foot in front of the other without pain. I can physically feel it, the heaviness, the temptation to curl into a ball and cry, to huddle somewhere in a corner and just stay there, hugging my knees and slowly disappear. There is a bitter taste in my mouth I can't swallow, my gloomy mood seeping through and making me press my lips together and look down at my feet, anything but meet people's stares, or I know they will see how heartbroken I am.

I need to break up with Hoseok.

The problem is, I don't know how.

I wish they taught us this at school; how to look at someone in the eyes and tell them you don't want to be close to them anymore. Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl. I feel like it's the most difficult, insurmountable thing ever... but I know I have to do it because the alternative is so much worse.

Lately, our relationship is so toxic I can practically feel how poisonous we are for each other from a mile away. Hoseok doesn't trust me anymore, and I realize now that it's not going to change. So why extend this relationship when it's already over? One of us just has to make the first move, and I know deeply that he's never the one who is going to do it, even if he probably knows by now that we are doomed.

So of course, I'm the one who is stuck with the dirty task of breaking things off. I know I'm going to be immensely relieved afterwards. Probably immensely miserable too. I just have to imagine his eyes in my mind and the soft way he used to look at me, his laugh, his hand grazing my waist, and it suddenly feels like a bunch of rocks is rattling somewhere in my throat and I can't breathe.

Once the conversation will be started and he understands where I'm heading, things are going to flow easier and I will be able to get everything out. After all, once upon a time, we did know how to communicate.

The tricky bit is starting the conversation.

And I intend to do it tonight.

Do it as soon as possible. Rip the band-aid off. No anesthesia.

"Sage! Sage!" someone calls, and I look up, finding myself face-to-face with Yoongi who is shaking his hand in front of my face.

"Huh, hi."

I blink, a bit surprised, then look around. I'm in the middle of the corridor near the locker rooms, nowhere near the math class which should have been my final destination. The corridor is deadly quiet, and I suddenly realize it's eerily empty, missing all of its students.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, confused.

Yoongi stares for a second, eyebrows screwing together as his triangle eyes assess me with a tinge of concern.