assault

The next day, Ron forgot all about what had happened the night before. Their first Quidditch match was today and his nervousness was all that he had on his mind. Harry and Hermione are sitting at the Gryffindor table for breakfast before the match. Ron sits down next to them and for the first time in years, he only stares at his food, refusing to touch it.

"Good luck, today, Ron," Neville says as he passes by.

Seamus sits down next to him, "I'm counting on you, Ron. I have two Galleons on Gryffindor, yeah?" He pats him on the back before getting up and returning to his own friends.

He tries to get his mind off of things so he asks them, "So how was it, then?"

"How was what?" Hermione asks anxiously.

"Your dinner party?"

"Oh, pretty boring actually," Hermione responds as she looks back down.

"So, did you talk to her last night?" Harry asks Hermione.

"Um-" Hermione knows she's always been a terrible liar, "No."

Ron looks at her, "Oh, come on, Hermione. You couldn't lie to save our lives."

She shifts anxiously, "Alright, fine, but she can't know I'm telling you this. Just- sneak into our room later and take her journal. It'll be in her top drawer of her nightstand. Start reading from the beginning of term."

Harry and Ron look at each other in confusion, but nod nonetheless.

Hermione changes the subject, "Slughorn's having Christmas do, you know. We're meant to bring someone."

"I expect you'll be bringing McLaggan. He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?" Ron asks.

"Actually, I was going to ask you," she says and Harry gives a small smirk.

"Really?" Ron questions, but Lavender comes up to them.

"Good luck today, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant."

She quickly walks away and Ron leans across the table, "I'm resigning. After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

"Have it your way," Harry states before passing him a cup, "Juice?"

"Sure," Ron responds.

Luna looks over at them, wearing a full lion costume, "Hello, everyone. You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup?" She asks Harry.

He begins to put his Liquid Luck back into his pocket and Hermione notices, "Liquid Luck. Don't drink it, Ron."

But he downs the whole cup quickly and begins to grin, feeling better.

Hermione sternly turns to Harry, "You could be expelled for that."

Harry turns to her, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Ron stands up, "Come on, Harry. We've got a game to win."

Harry smiles and pats him on the back as they exit the hall and head for the pitch. Hermione stands and goes to find Sam. She steps into their dorm.

"Are you coming to watch the match today?"

Sam hesitates for a moment, "I'm not sure that I should."

"They'd want you to be there, regardless," Hermione insists.

Sam nods and stands up, following Hermione out. They find their seats in the Gryffindor section as the match begins. They watch as Ron deflect each and every Quaffle, making sure Slytherin doesn't make any goals. Sam and Hermione cheer him on and Harry can hear them from high above. He looks down and his eyes meet Sam's and the pain comes flooding in once again. She quickly looks away as her heart races. She wishes she could turn back the clock to when everything was so much easier.