abilities

The next morning they all wake up and gather in the kitchen. It's the day of Harry's hearing at the Ministry so they're all wishing him luck. Molly pulls Sam aside and apologizes profusely for the night before, but Sam simply assures her that she understands and she isn't angry. She watches as Harry doesn't really make eye contact with anyone and nods at every sentence. She reaches for his hand and pulls him into the hall before he has to leave.

"I'm fine, really," He says absentmindedly.

"You can't lie to me, I know you're not."

He stares elsewhere as if there is something deeper on his mind. She knows that asking him about it isn't what he needs right now, so she turns his head to look at her.

"Close your eyes," she whispers.

As he does she places her hands on either side of his face and lets waves of peace flow from her to him. As she lets go, he opens his eyes and stares into hers, feeling much more relaxed. He hasn't really looked at her, truly looked at her, since he arrived and now that he has, he realizes how much he's missed her.

"Better?" She asks with a smile.

He leans in slowly and kisses her for the first time in months. As he pulls away she smiles with content.

"Much," he notes before being pulled out of the door by Arthur.

Hermione steps up from behind her, "Can I join in on your practice today?"

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. Here, follow me."

Sam and Hermione enter the drawing room to find all the furniture being moved to the side by Sirius, Ron, Fred and George.

"Alright, not everyone gets to join today," Sam alerts.

Ron stops pushing the chairs, "But there's nothing else to do!"

"Oh, I don't know, Ronniekins. You could start packing things for school now that Molly is out getting the things we all need. Or you could help Fred and George come up with new ideas-"

"You could clean up the place," Sirius chuckles.

"Fine, fine," Ron huffs as the twins pull him out of the room.

Sam stands in the middle of the room as Hermione stands by the door.

"Where would you like to start, darling?" Sirius asks.

"Um... the scream. I want to use it as a defense not as an alarm clock."

Hermione sniggers and Sirius lets out a loud laugh, "Okay. Well first we need to talk about it. Here, Hermione, come sit."

They all sit momentarily on the floor as Sirius begins, "Now, Banshees are very instinctual beings. They scream to alert of death and as a defense, but you, my girl, are a Banshee witch. They are very different. If it truly bothers you, you can control the premonitions all together with a potion. You won't be able to sense death which means you won't have to scream as an 'alarm clock'," he mocks lightly and they chuckle, "But you can still scream as a defense. I know it may seem like sensing death is a bonus in certain times, but I assure you it's not. Just because you can sense when someone is about to die, doesn't mean you can stop it. Do remember that. It's better to not know then to beat yourself down for not being able to change the course of events."

Sam nods slowly and Sirius continues, "Using it as a proper defense is very tricky. As you know, you can give your scream a target, but from what I hear you still caused a few others to pass out."

Sam looks down sheepishly, "But I still saved Harry."

He grabs both of her hands and shakes them lightly, "And that's incredible! You did it with only sheer force of will. Now, imagine how much stronger you'll be with training."