rescue mission

All summer, Sam had zero nightmares and no outbursts of emotion she couldn't control. It was as if she had no worries in the world. She would have been more than content, if it hadn't been for the fact that she hadn't heard from Harry all summer. She wrote him letters once a week for a month straight and then started to send more as time passed, worrying he wasn't okay. She had received letters from Hermione and responded every week, so why wasn't Harry responding?

For a while, Fred and George could take her mind off of it by pranking Percy everyday for three weeks straight. Then Ron made her practice Quidditch with him, but after the second month rolled around with no word from Harry... all the Weasley's were worried. Arthur and Molly planned to get Harry before returning to Hogwarts, but while they waited for the right time... Ron, Sam and the twins were making other arrangements. The day of Harry's birthday, they planned to steal the family car and fly to Number 4 Privet Drive to rescue Harry. That was the only logical explanation for why he hadn't responded to anyone's letters.

That night they pile into Arthur's Flying Ford Anglia and set off for Harry's. The twins are driving and navigating, poorly, while Sam and Ron sit in the back. They finally arrive at Privet Drive and pull up next to Harry's window.

"Hi, Harry," Ron says.

Harry looks into the car to see the twins grinning deviously and Sam giving him a small wave.

"Ron. Fred. George. Sam! What are you all doing here?" He asks, clearly happy to see that they hadn't forgotten about him.

"Rescuing you, of course!" Sam informs while pulling herself to the front of the car.

"Now, come on, get your trunk," Ron orders.

Harry moves back to grab his things and Ron attaches a hook to the barricade on Harry's window to rip it off.

"You better stand back," Ron alerts, "Let's go."

Harry steps back as Fred turns the steering wheel and flies the car forward, not only ripping off the bars, but the window as well. They fling the trunk open so Harry can put his things in.

"Potter!" They hear Vernon shouting.

"Come on, Harry!" Sam shouts.

The trunk of the car slams closed.

"Go, go, go!" George exclaims.

Ron opens the passenger door to grab Hedwig as they hear the door unlocking.

Vernon bursts through Harry's bedroom door, "Petunia, he's escaping!"

Sam throws her door open and reaches her hand out for Harry as he jumps through the window. Vernon grabs him by the ankle while Sam, George and Ron wrap their arms around him.

"I've got you, Harry," Ron shouts.

"Let go of me!" Harry yells to Vernon.

"You and that bloody pigeon aren't going anywhere."

Vernon struggles to hang on to Harry. Sam shouts up to Fred, "Drive!"

Fred spins the wheel and takes off, pulling Vernon out the window as he falls into the bushes below. Harry slams the door shut as they all look back with smiles plastered on their faces.

"By the way, Harry, happy birthday," Ron says as he pats him on the back.

Sam hugs him, "It's good to see you!"

He laughs, "Likewise."

They drive back to the Burrow while telling each other all about their summers. Harry explains that a house elf has been stealing all the letters they've written to him. Sam's just happy to know he wasn't ignoring them. By the time they reach the Burrow, it's early morning. George quietly pushes open a window so they can all sneak in.

"Okay, come on," George ushers them in, "Shh, shh."

Harry looks around their home in amazement. Everything in the house gives off a warm, welcoming vibe. As Harry walks around, Sam and the boys gather around the table looking at the food that was left out.

"Think it'd be alright if we had some?" George asks.

Fred replies, "Yeah, Mum will never know."

They grab some rolls as Ron follows Harry. They find him staring at the clock. Each hand of the clock, has a picture of the different members of the family on it. Each hand moves to different inscriptions engraved on the clock. There's 'school, home, work, prison, lost, travelling, hospital, and mortal peril'. Harry watches as four hands of the clock, with pictures of Ron, Fred, George, and Sam, move from 'lost' to 'home'. Harry smiles at the creative idea. He notices that the dishes are cleaning themselves and there's a pair of knitting needles that knit by themselves over in a chair.

Ron stuffs a roll in his mouth as he says, "It's not much, but it's home."

Harry turns back to look at them, "I think it's brilliant."

Molly appears out of nowhere and slams her hands on the table in front of them, "Where have you been?!"

The boys hide the rolls behind their backs and Sam stifles a laugh.

Molly rushes over to Harry, "Harry, how wonderful to see you, dear." She turns quickly to the other four, "Beds empty. No note. Car gone. You could have died. You could have been seen."

Harry looks over to them as they hang their heads in embarrassment.

"Of course, I don't blame you, Harry, dear," she says kindly.

Ron, still with a mouth full of bread, "They were starving him, Mum. There were bars on his window."

She stuck her finger in his face, "Well, you best hope I don't put bars on your window, Ronald Weasley."

The boys' eyes widened immensely in fear.

"I'm sorry Molly, it was my fault. I was so worried about Harry and I dragged the boys in because they always want to help," Sam says, giving Molly her best puppy dog eyes.

"Oh, it's alright, dear, not to worry." Sam looks at the boys triumphantly while they look flabbergasted.