remembrall

As the lunch break finally comes around, Sam rushes into the Great Hall to find Fred and George. She begins to tell them all about her day.

They laugh together, "Woah there, take a breath, love."

Sam takes a big deep breath and continues. Harry and Ron finally catch up and sit on either side of her.

"Eye of rabbit, harp string hum, turn this water into rum."

Harry turns to Ron and asks, "What's Seamus trying to do to that glass of water?"

"Turn it to rum. Actually managed a weak tea yesterday, before-"

Ron stopped mid sentence as Seamus' spell backfires and his hair is scorched. Sam tries to hold in a laugh. Owls begin to fly into the Great Hall.

"Ah! Mail's here!" Ron states as we all look up. Mail begins to drop from above into the hands of awaiting students. Neville begins to open his package and pulls out a small glass ball.

"Hey! Look, Neville's got a Remembrall," Dean Thomas announces.

Hermione, ever the know-it-all speaks up, "I've read about those. The smoke turns red when you've forgotten something."

As she finishes her statement, the smoke in the ball turns bright red.

"The only problem is, I can't remember what I've forgotten."

Sam lets out a small laugh and gives Neville a small smile, as a blush creeps up his cheeks.

Hey lightly nudges my arm, "Hey, Sam, Ron, looks like somebody broke into Gringotts. Listen. 'Believed to be the work of Dark Wizards or witches unknown, Gringotts goblins acknowledge the breach but insist nothing was taken. The vault in question, number 713, had been emptied earlier that same day.' That's odd. That's the vault Hagrid and I went to."

They all look at each other and then to Hermione who has a questioningly look on her face, as if she is trying to figure something out. After lunch, they all made their way outside to their next period. They came across a line of brooms and stood behind each of them.

"Good afternoon, class."

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch."

"Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of your broomstick. Come on no, hurry up. Stick your hand over the broom and say, 'Up.'"

Everyone follows her instructions. Harry and Sam have no trouble and they both get their brooms up with the first try. Others follow suit after a few tries, except for Hermione. Ron's just hits him right in the face. Sam laughs loudly, while Ron glares at her.

"You're supposed to be family!"

"But that's why it's so funny!"

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it."

Everyone throws one leg over the broom.

"Grip it tight. You don't wanna be sliding off the end. When I blow my whistle, I want you to kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your broom steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle. Three, two, one."

As soon as her whistle sounds, Neville's broom floats up from the ground without his control. It begins thrashing around, while he's still tightly holding on. Madam Hooch begins to call his name and Neville tries to get down but the broom has a mind of its own apparently. His broom quickly takes off and zooms around the courtyard and up around the towers. It smacks repeatedly into the sides and zooms off again. His robe gets caught on one of the statues and his broom flies out from under him. The only thing holding him up his robe which begins to tear.

Sam calls up to him, "It's okay Neville! Hold on! Try to grip onto the statue!"

It's too late, he begins to fall and gets caught once again on another statue. He falls again and hits the ground with a loud thud and a crack.

"Everyone out of the way!" Madam Hooch says as she runs to Neville's side. "Come on, that's it."

Neville makes a pained sound. "Oh, dear, it's a broken wrist. Poor boy. Come on now, up you get. Everyone keep your feet on the ground while I take him to the hospital wing. Understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will find themselves out of Hogwarts before they can say Quidditch."

She walks Neville out of the courtyard and Draco picks up his Remembrall.

"Did you see his face? Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze, he'd have remembered to fall on his fat arse."

Harry steps up, "Give it here, Malfoy." Sam clenches her fist, ready to deck him in the face.

"No. I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." He tosses the ball and steps on his broom as he flies up. "How about on the roof? What's the matter, Potter? Bit beyond your reach?"

Harry quickly mounts his broom, ready to fly after him.

"Harry, no way!" Hermione shouts, "You heard what Madam Hooch said. Besides, you don't even know how to fly."

Harry gracefully shoots up off the ground and high into the air.

"What an idiot." Hermione sighs.

"Give it here, Malfoy, or I'll knock you off your broom!"

"Is that so?"

Harry jerks forward and reaches for it, but Malfoy swung around his broom, dodging Harry.

"Have it your way, then." Malfoy said as he threw the Remembrall towards the castle. Harry sped past him and went after it. Just before it reached the wall, he caught it and spun around. He tossed it in the air and caught it. He brought his broom back towards the ground as the whole class cheered for him.

McGonagall walked outside and called for Harry. He looked down, accepting defeat. Sam turned to Ron with worry etching across her features.

"Follow me."