dumbledore's army

Winter is finally here and the ground is covered in snow. Hermione and Sam have spent the past few weeks, subtly telling others of their plan to have a real Defense Against the Dark Arts class, taught by none other than Harry. The four of them are walking through Hogsmeade to the place they intended to have their first meeting.

"This is mad. Who'd wanna be taught by me? I'm a nutter, remember?" Harry asks in shock.

"Look on the bright side: you can't be any worse than old toad face," Ron jokes.

"Thanks, Ron," he responds sarcastically.

"I'm here for you, mate."

"Who's supposed to be meeting us, then?" Harry inquires.

"Just a couple of people," Sam and Hermione say simultaneously.

They enter an old, rundown bar with two people inside, "Lovely spot," Ron jokes.

"Thought it would be safer off the beaten track," Hermione notes.

They enter the bar and set up a few chairs while they wait for people to arrive. As time passes, more than a couple people walk in and sit down, effectively filling up the entire room. Harry sits in between Sam and Hermione, staring at them in frustration over their under exaggeration. Hermione stands to address the other students.

"Um- Hi. So you all know why we're here. We need a teacher. A proper teacher. One who's had experience defending themselves against the Dark Arts."

"Why?" Zacharius Smith, a boy from Ravenclaw inquires.

"Why? Because You-Know-Who is back, you toss pot," Ron argues.

"So he says," he rebuttals.

"So Dumbledore says," Hermione fires back.

"So Dumbledore says because he says. The point is, where's the proof?"

"Listen up, all of you," Sam begins, "If you're here to get answers about Cedric's death, you might as well clear out now. This is about being able to defend ourselves when shit hits the fan."

"And why should we trust you? A pretty face isn't going to distract us from the fact that you're the daughter of a killer. Who's to say, you're not on the side of the Death Eaters," Smith retorts.

Fred, George, Ron and Harry all stand threateningly, but Sam holds up her hand to calm them down, "Smith, you need to take a breath and control your temper."

"Says the girl who can't control her emotions, your temper is worse than mine."

"Exactly," her eyes flash green to prove a point, "So don't get on the wrong side of it."

His eyes widen in fear as Fred and George remove him from the bar. They walk in and sit back down as if nothing ever happened.

"If any of you are questioning Sam's loyalty and love for her friends, we don't need you here," Harry starts, "She's been the one to stand by side throughout everything and I'd trust her with the lives of everyone in this bar. Her heart is more compassionate and caring than anyone I've ever met, so there is no reason for anyone of you to doubt that she's here to help."

Luna speaks up to clear the tension and get back to the topic, "Is it true you can produce a Patronus Charm?"

"Yes, I've seen it," Sam answers.

"So can Sam, it's brilliant," Hermione adds.

"Blimey, I didn't know you could do that," Dean blurts out.

"And Harry killed a basilisk, with the sword in Dumbledore's office," Neville announces to the group.

"Third year, he fought off about a hundred Dementors at once," Ron adds.

"And last year, he really did fight off Voldemort in the flesh," Sam alerts.

"Wait," Harry interrupts, "Look, it all sounds great when you say it like that... but the truth is, most of that was just luck. I didn't know what I was doing half the time. I nearly always had help," he looks at Sam who gives him a small reassuring smile.

"He's just being modest," Hermione says.

"No, Hermione, I'm not. Facing this stuff in real life is not like school. In school, if you make a mistake, you can just try again tomorrow. But out there, when you're a second away from being murdered or watching a friend die right before your eyes, you don't know what that's like."

Harry sits down and Hermione follows suit, "You're right Harry, we don't. That's why we need your help. Because if we're going to have any chance at beating... Voldemort... "

"He's really back?" Colin Creevy asks.

Harry only nods in return. Fred and George stand, "Where do we sign?"

Sam gives them a grin and pulls out a paper. They're the first to sign after Sam, Harry, Ron and Hermione. Everyone else steps in line and signs the paper. After everyone departs, Sam, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Luna, and Neville walk back together to the castle.

"Right. First we need to find a place to practice," Harry plans, "where Umbridge won't find out."

"The Shrieking Shack?" Neville offers.

"It's too small," Harry concludes.

"The Room of Requirement on the seventh floor," Sam announces, "There's loads of space. It's perfect."

"Brilliant," Harry turns to smile at her.

"Harry, what happens if Umbridge does find out?" Ron asks.

"Who cares?" Hermione blurts, "I mean- it's sort of exciting, isn't it? Breaking the rules."

"Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?" Ron asks incredulously.

Everyone chuckles and Hermione continues, "Anyway, at least we know one positive thing that came from today."

"What's that?" Harry inquires.

"Sam finally put Zacharius Smith in his place."

Fred and George lift her up, "Our badass little S, using her powers for the greater good of Hogwarts."