the one

Sam sits with Hermione in the courtyard, she watches as people pass with buttons that say 'Potter Stinks'. Anger begins to fill her, but she gets control and pushes it down. She sees Harry enter the courtyard and his eyes fall on her before quickly turning and landing on Cedric.

He walks up to him, "Can I have a word?"

Cedric stands, "All right." He follows Harry away from his friends who shouts, "You stink, Potter!"

"Dragons. That's the first task," he warns, "they've got one for each of us."

Cedric looks taken aback and then looks around, making sure no one hears, "Are you serious?"

Harry nods in response before Cedric inquires, "And- um- Fleur and Krum, do they-?"

"Yes."

"Right. Hey, listen. About the badges. I've asked them not to wear them, but-"

"Don't worry about it," as Harry begins to walk away Cedric grabs his arm.

"You're friends with Sam, right?"

Harry looks at Sam who currently invested in a conversation with Hermione, he nods.

"Is she, uh- seeing anyone?"

Harry looks at him in a mixture of agitation and confusion. He then looks around at the courtyard and notices that almost every other guy is throwing glances her way.

"Uh- no, but-" he stops himself and corrects himself, "No, she's not."

Cedric smiles and pats Harry on the shoulder, "Thanks."

Harry sees Ron walking up and marches over to him, "You're a right foul git, you know that?"

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Anything else?"

"Yeah. Stay away from me."

"Fine," Ron concludes before aggressively bumping shoulders, effectively moving him out of the way.

Sam gets up to talk to Harry and his eyes widen as he steps closer to her.

"Black!" Sam turns and sees Draco sitting in a tree. He jumps down and begins walking closer to her, "You looking for me darling?"

"I'm sorry- what?" Completely taken by surprise, she has no comeback.

"I heard you're no longer on speaking terms with Potter, are you finally turning dark?" He asks with a smirk.

Before she can respond, Harry hurries over to her and takes her hand in his, "We're perfectly fine, for your information."

Sam grips his hand tighter and despite his current frustration with everyone, he feels calming relief that she's beside him again.

"Oh, yeah? Well, my father and I have a bet, you see. I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament. He disagrees. He thinks you won't last five. After that, Black here, will be all freed up."

"I don't give a damn what your father thinks, Malfoy. He's vile and cruel. And you're just pathetic," Harry responds, grabbing Sam's handing and pulling her away.

"Pathetic?" Draco asks as he pulls out his wand.

"Oh, no, you don't, sonny!" Moody comes out of nowhere with his wand in hand and fires a beam of light at him.

Sam and Harry turn around and watch as Malfoy morphs into a ferret. Sam and Harry watch in shock.

"I'll teach you to curse someone when their back is turned!"