waiting for war

As winter grows closer and Umbridge continues to sit in on lessons from different teachers, the nerves of students and teachers grow higher. Sam, Ron and Hermione make their way to the courtyard, following the commotion of other students. Harry catches up with them.

"Sam, what's going on?" He asks.

"It's Professor Trelawney," she responds.

They walk out to the courtyard with the other students and notice Trelawney surrounded by all of her trunks and personal belongings. Umbridge stands before her with a folded piece of paper.

Trelawney stutters as she cries, "Sixteen years I've lived and taught here. Hogwarts is my home. You can't do this."

Umbridge gives a pleased smile as she holds up the paper, "Actually, I can."

Professor Trelawney whimpers and McGonagall runs into the courtyard to comfort her. Sam feels rage pulse through her and her eyes begin to flicker green. Harry, who seems to be the only one who notices, holds her hand and pulls her into his side. Her heartbeat slows to a normal pace. Professor McGonagall pulls her in for a hug as she continues to sob.

Umbridge, still smiling, tilts her head, "Something you'd like to say?"

"Oh, there are several things I would like to say," McGonagall spits back.

Suddenly, the doors to the castle open to reveal Dumbledore. He walks out into the courtyard and stands directly in front of Umbridge, "Professor McGonagall, might I ask you to escort Sybil back inside?"

McGonagall guides her, "Sybil, dear. This way."

Professor Trelawney whimpers and holds out her hand to Dumbledore, "Thank you."

He holds onto her hand as she passes, but maintains eye contact with Umbridge.

"Dumbledore, may I remind you that under the terms of Education Decree Number 23, as enacted by the minister-"

"You have the right to dismiss my teachers," he interrupts, "You do not, however, have the authority to banish them from the grounds. That power remains with the headmaster."

She forms another sickly smile, "For now."

He turns and walks back into the castle, but looks at the students, "Don't you all have studying to do?"

The students return to the castle and to their common rooms, but Harry runs after Dumbledore trying to get his attention. He loses him in the crowd of students so he walks with his friends up to their common room.

Sam, Ron and Harry sit on the couch as Hermione paces in front of them, "That foul, evil, old gargoyle. We're not learning how to defend ourselves. We're not learning how to pass our OWLs. She's taking over the entire school."

They turn as they hear Fudge on the radio, "Security has been and will remain the Ministry's top priority. Furthermore, we have convincing evidence that these disappearances are the work of notorious mass murderer Sirius Black."

"Sam, Harry," a voice says from behind them.

They all turn to look at the fireplace and see Sirius' face in the flames. Sam and Harry jump to the floor in front of him.

"Sirius. What are you doing here?" Harry asks quickly.

"Answering your letter. You said you were worried about Umbridge. What's she doing?"

Sam nudges Harry, "I thought we weren't going to say anything."

"What has she done?" Sirius repeats a bit more seriously.

Before anyone else can answer, Sam blurts, "She's not letting us use magic at all."

"Ah, well, I'm not surprised," he sighs, "The latest intelligence is that Fudge doesn't want you trained in combat."

"Combat? What does he think, we're forming some sort of wizard army?" Ron asks incredulously.

"That's exactly what he thinks," Sirius responds, "That Dumbledore is assembling his own forces to take on the Ministry. He's becoming more paranoid by the minute. The others wouldn't want me telling you this, but things aren't going at all well with the Order. Fudge is blocking the truth at every turn and these disappearances are just how it started before. Voldemort is on the move."

"Well, what can we do?" Harry asks.

"Someone's coming. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. But for now, at least, it looks like you're on your own."

The flame dissipates and they all stand as Hermione asks, "He really is out there, isn't he? We've got to be able to defend ourselves. And if Umbridge refuses to teach us how, we need someone who will."