werewolves

As winter approaches, the group of four continue with their classes, but Sam sees the increased amount of stress Hermione is under with her many extra lessons.

"Are you doing alright?" She asks.

"Oh, yeah. Just a lot to keep up with," Hermione responds.

"Well, I'm not a genius like you, but if you ever need help with your homework..."

Hermione gives her a warm, genuine smile, "Thanks, Sam."

Sam, Harry and Ron walk down to Defense Against the Dark Arts and sit at their desks. Sam sits at a conjoined desk with Harry while Ron sits by himself at the table next to them. Snape barges in and closes all the windows while turning off the lights and preparing the projector.

"Turn to page 394," He announces to the class.

The class slowly opens their books and begins to casually flip through as Snape walks back down the aisle. Harry leans across Sam to ask, "Excuse me, sir. Where's Professor Lupin?"

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say your professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Turn to page 394."

Ron looks up from his book, "Werewolves?"

Hermione appears next to Ron and turns around to look at Snape, "But, sir, we just learned about red caps and hinkypunks," Ron looks at Sam and Harry in confusion on when she arrived, "We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks."

"Quiet," Snape says in agitation.

"When did she come in? Did you see her come in?" Ron asks frantically.

Harry and Sam both shrug.

"Now, which one of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?"

Hermione raises her hand, but Snape ignores her, "No one? How disappointing."

"Please, sir. An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice. With each full moon, when he transforms, he no longer remembers who he is. He'd kill his best friend if he crossed his path. Furthermore, the werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind."

Draco, who is a seat away from Sam, howls and Crabbe laughs loudly.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy. That's the second time you've spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

Ron leans over to Harry and Sam and whispers, "He's got a point, you know." Sam looks over to Hermione and gives her a kind smile in hopes it cheers her up a bit.

"Five points from Gryffindor. As an antidote to your ignorance, and on my desk, by Monday morning..."

Draco blows a folded origami bird note over to Sam and Harry's desk.

"...two rolls of parchment on the werewolf, with emphasis on recognizing it."

The whole class groans and Harry says, "But, sir, there's Quidditch tomorrow."

Snape approaches the desk fast and leans down, "Then I suggest you take extra care, Mr. Potter. Loss of limb will not excuse you. Page 394."

Snape continues his lecture as Sam and Harry open the note. It's an animated picture of Harry at the game, getting struck by lightning. At the bottom, it reads, 'See you there, Jackson.'

Harry immediately turns to glare at Draco, but Sam grabs his arm from doing anything stupid, "It's just Malfoy being a prat, let it go."

Harry doesn't take his eyes off Malfoy and Sam turns to look at him as well, seeing his signature sneer. She rolls her eyes at him and they begin to read and take notes.

Harry aggressively whispers, "He's got a thing for you."

Sam quietly scoffs, "It's Malfoy, he's only got a thing for himself."