death eater

They all sit down in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Harry has been incredibly fidgety since the night they saw Draco.

"So, what was Draco doing with that weird-looking cabinet? And who were all those people? Don't you see? It was a ceremony, an initiation," Harry explains.

"Stop it, Harry. I know where you're going with this," Hermione scolds.

"It's happened," Harry persists, "He's one of them."

"One of what?" Ron asks obliviously.

"Harry is under the impression that Draco Malfoy is now a Death Eater," Hermione answers.

"Your barking," Ron jokes, "What would You-Know-Who want with a sod like Malfoy?"

"Well, then what's he doing in Borgin and Burkes? Browsing for furniture?" Harry remarks.

"It's a creepy shop. He's a creepy bloke," Ron rationalizes.

"Look, his father is a Death Eater. It only makes sense," Harry argues, "Besides, Hermione saw it with her own eyes."

"I don't know what I saw," Hermione insists, "Sam, you know him more than any of us... tell Harry he's not a Death Eater."

Sam hesitates for a moment, "I mean-"

"Oh, come on," Ron scoffs.

"Listen, okay? You're right, I do know him better than anyone here. And I'll be honest, Harry isn't wrong," Hermione opens her mouth, as does Harry, but Sam holds up a hand, "However, if Draco is a Death Eater, it's not because he wants to be. He feels compelled to follow in his father's footsteps and I think if it comes down to it, he won't do anything serious."

"But, it's Draco, Sam," Harry argues more, "He's a complete git. He would-"

"Harry, he's just a troubled guy. A lot like you and me," Sam explains.

Harry rolls his eyes, "I need some air."

He grabs his invisibility cloak before exiting the cabin. Sam looks at Ron and Hermione in frustration.

"How come, every time things get good, something comes up and ruins it?"

They both shrug, feeling the same bit of frustration. They wait for the rest of the ride to Hogwarts but Harry doesn't return. When everyone is departing, Sam gets up and gets ready to go search for Harry.

"He's probably already on the platform, Sam," Ron notes, "Come on."

She looks down the corridor and hesitantly nods before following them off the train. As they step onto the platform, Sam searches the crowd of students for Harry's raven black hair, but doesn't see him.

"Don't worry, let's just go to the Great Hall and wait for him there," Hermione encourages.

"Yeah, alright," Sam agrees, still looking through the platform.

They have to go through a new security check, with everything going on, even Hogwarts has changed. They enter the Great Hall and wait patiently for Harry. Sam's leg begins to shake as her nerves rise.

"Don't worry," Ron says with his mouth full of food, "He'll be here in a minute."

Hermione looks at him incredulously, "Will you stop eating? Your best friend is missing!"

"Oi, turn around you lunatic," he retorts.

They all turn quickly and see Harry entering the hall as he holds a cloth against his bleeding nose.

"Godric, why is he always covered in blood," Sam sighs.

"I think it's his own this time," Ron remarks.

Harry sits down next to Sam, and Hermione leans across the table, "Where have you been? What happened to your face?"

"Later. What did I miss?" He responds.

Sam grabs the cloth from his nose and gently wipes away the blood, "If I wanted to date a bad boy, I would've dated a Slytherin," she chuckles.

He smiles lightly at her, "What can I say? Trouble finds me wherever I go."

She shakes her head and rolls her eyes playfully as Dumbledore begins his announcements.

"Very best of evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn," everyone claps lightly, "Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post as Potions Master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

Everyone begins to whisper amongst themselves. Sam, Harry, Hermione and Ron look at each other in suspicion.

"Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight," Dumbledore continues, "And you have the right to know why. Once there was a man, who, like you, sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

Everyone murmurs, but the four remain silent/

"Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, their greatest weapon is you. Just something to think about. Now, off to bed. Pip-pip."

Ron turns to look at the group, "Well, that was cheerful."

Everyone stands to exit and Sam feels a weight settle in her chest. She looks at Harry and then her gaze lands on Malfoy. He's sitting with his head resting on his hand, clearly lost in thought. He looks solemn, like something is eating away at him. His usually glare or annoyed expression is replaced by sadness. Her first instinct is to see what's wrong, but before she can even take a step, Ron wraps his arm around her shoulders and pulls her away with the group.

They part ways when they reach the dorms. Sam and Hermione unpack their things and sit on their beds.

"Something was off with Malfoy at the feast. It's weird. I could feel it without even looking at him," Sam comments.

Hermione raises her brows in surprise, "Do you... you know that I hate to ask, but do you have feelings for him?"

Sam scrunches her nose, "What? No. I just worry, that's all. He's a prat and I hate the way he's treated us all in the past, but he's just as troubled and confused as we are."

As they lay in bed, Sam thinks about what Dumbledore said at the feast and her mind wanders to the Slytherin Chambers. She wonders what is going through Draco's head right now, what's going on that has him so preoccupied.