death sentence

"Broaden your minds! The art of crystal gazing is in the clearing of the inner Eye."

Harry and Ron are seated together in Divination class, while Sam sits with Hermione. Sam has her head resting in her hands and is completely zoned out. Harry is resting his head in his arms leaning on the table directly in front of the crystal ball. Ron is just flat out snoring.

"Only then can you see. Try again. Noe, what do we have here?" Professor Trelawney asks as she steps up to Sam and Hermione's table, right next to Ron and Harry's.

Hermione perks up, "Do you mind me trying? The Grim, possibly."

Professor Trelawney sits next to Hermione, "My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my class I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination," she lifts Hermione's hand to look at her palm, "No, you see, there. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave."

Professor Trelawney pats her hand lightly and Hermione yanks it out of her grasp and pushes the crystal ball onto the floor before grabbing her bag and marching out. Harry and Ron look up in shock and Sam grabs her things, smiles at the professor, and chases after Hermione.

"Hermione!" Sam calls after her, but her best friend won't slow down.

When she finally catches up she grabs onto her wrist and turns her around, "Would you slow down, please! Godric, you can walk fast."

"That old hag, oh, honestly! Divination is not a noble art, it's something fake psychics play with in the muggle world."

"Do you think I disagree?" Sam laughs, "There's nothing accurate about it and if I'm being honest, I don't think Trelawney has any idea what she's talking about most of the time."

A small smile forms on Hermione's lips.

"So, since I left class with you... we have the rest of the period to do whatever we want." Sam wiggles her eyebrows, "I was hoping you'd be in a rule-breaking mood since you're angry at a professor."

Hermione rolls her eyes, "I'm never in a rule-breaking mood, but what do you have in mind?"

"Wanna play a prank on Fred and George?"

"Absolutely not! I do not want to wake up with green hair, boils, or jelly legs."

Sam pouts, "What if we did it so they couldn't trace who did it?"

Hermione hesitates for a few moments, "Fine, what did you have in mind?"

For the rest of the period, Sam and Hermione devise a foolproof plan to show the twins that they aren't the only ones who know how to prank. They place everything out while everyone is in class, but then Hermione reminds Sam that they have to change and go be with Hagrid when the executioner arrives.

They meet up with the boys and they walk out into the courtyard. They see a man, dressed in all black sharpening an axe in the middle of the courtyard. They walk past him briskly and towards Hagrid's.

"I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak," Hermione remarks, "It's just too horrible."

"It just got worse," Ron states as they all stop and see Malfoy and his goons with binoculars pointed at Hagrid's Hut.

"Father said I can keep the hippogriff's head. Maybe I'll donate it to the Gryffindor's common room."

Sam and Hermione abruptly begin walking towards the Slytherins.

Draco turns around and notices the four, "Ah! Come to see the show?"

Hermione runs up to him and draws her wand, "You! You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!"

She backs him into a wall with her wand aimed directly at his throat. Sam can honestly say she's never been more proud.

"Hermione, no! He's not worth it!" Ron shouts.

This pulls her out of her trance and she backs away. Draco begins to laugh.

Hermione turns back and punches him in the nose.

"Malfoy, are you okay?" Crabbe asks, picking him up off the ground.

As they run off, Draco says to his goons, "Not a word to anyone, understood?"

Sam looks at her in awe as she says, "That felt good."

Ron gawks in disbelief, "Not good, brilliant!"

Sam grabs her arm and turns to the boys, "Let's go."