Flashbulb Memories

Warning: implied abuse, panic attacks

***

As of late, Emma had been having a bad feeling lingering around her. It wasn't like her to be so paranoid, but she had to conceal it, considering that the source was living in the same room as her, hell, even DATING her.

Just like her, Kokoro kept up a good mask, but when Emma's back was turned, she could feel her gaze lingering on her. It was almost like she was trying to figure the actress out from the inside, like dissecting a frog to study its insides and use them in the future. It wouldn't be completely incorrect to say that she was nervous, but as always, she hid her emotions and pretended that nothing was wrong.

Yet she had a feeling that Kokoro was catching on, that she was acting too 'pure-hearted' and obvious. Of course Emma was nervous, but not because of Kokoro's ability or an accusation that she was hiding something from her. No, she didn't particularly care about that.

What she was scared of the most was Kokoro finding out her past and what she might do with the information. She knew Kokoro well enough that she knew that the psychologist wouldn't blackmail her with the information or use it against her. Kokoro really had no use for any of that.

She was more scared that Kokoro would make her confront the demons that constantly plagued her mind than being blackmailed. She knew that it was a psychologist's job to study people and their emotions, but if Emma was forced to confront everything all at once, she was certain that she'd go insane.

So for now, Emma would keep up her facade and try to ignore the eyes that continued to bore through her back.

***

"Please come with me." Kokoro demanded, grabbing the actress's hand and pulling her away from the centre of the courtyard.

Emma was perplexed by this action, but allowed the psychologist to do as she pleased. Once they were in a quiet corner devoid of people and out of earshot of anyone, Emma spoke again. "What's the matter, Kokoro?"

The psychologist took a deep breath. "I...just want to have a talk with you, away from the prying ears of others." 

"Oh? Why did you want to have a talk all of a sudden?" She asked.

Kokoro looked her directly in the eyes and said "This is also for your own good. I hope you understand." She took another deep breath. "Emma. Ever since I first met you and that group you always go with, I've noticed a feeling recurring in you. This also extends to Mr. Sannoji, who recently joined your group. His emotions are subtle, but still readable based on his actions."

"My group? You mean Hajime, Nikei, and Iroha?" Emma repeated.

"That's correct." Kokoro answered. "All of you share the same emotion...the emotion of desperation. As if you can't find something that you're looking for... Is that not so?"

Emma was shocked by her declaration, but masked it well. "Hm? What do you mean by that? I don't know-"

"Can't you understand?" The psychologist interrupted. "I'm saying that all of you must have an ulterior motive for coming to this academy. I know this from the fact that the emotion has risen greatly ever since a week or so after my birthday. Nothing happened the day before, but the next day, Mr. Sannoji had joined your group and you all seemed to be more...should I say, tense than usual."

"W-What do you mean...?" Emma asked, paling at her girlfriend's words. "Ulterior motive? I don't understand."

"I admit you have done a great job...but acting won't work here." Kokoro warned. "You cannot deceive me. Emma Magorobi, you and the other four have an ulterior motive for enrolling here."