Please Give Me Wings

Warning: mentioned incest/lobotomy/death, implied murder, surgical descriptions

***

"Oh, all the doctors from the Path of Sound Rehabilitation Clinic are dead? Damn, I thought there'd be at least one alive." Kanade sighed. 

"I'm sorry, I checked all profiles of the staff there, and all the therapists have all been confirmed dead." Kakeru apologized. "By the way, why are you looking for them? Aren't you now receiving therapy from Mikako now?"

"I am, but she already has a lot of people that she has to deal with on a daily basis. I don't think that she wants to deal with a previously incestuous ex-serial killer on top of all of that." The guitarist shrugged. "But I guess she has to deal with it for a little while longer, because I can't find someone to take her place."

"I'm pretty sure that she wants to keep an eye on you, that's why she hasn't referred you to any other counsellors as I've seen her do before. The fact that she's kept your records from the clinic you were at proves that she wants to help you." The lawyer reasoned. "So for now, it would be best to just let her help you as best as she can."

"Well, maybe." The shorter girl nodded. "It's not like I don't have my hands tied anyway, so neither of us have any choice. As long as I can try and fix myself in the end, maybe this won't turn out to be a complete dumpster fire."

As Kanade finished up her conversation with the bigger man, Kanata and Kinji entered the office while holding hands. "Hey, Kakeru! I need you to book something into the system for me!" Kanata chirped.

"Uh, aren't you supposed to go to Kizuna and her mom for that kind of stuff?" Kakeru nervously asked.

"Well, I thought this would be easier to do since your office is closer to my department." The surgeon chirped. She then put a small piece of paper on his desk with a date on it. "Anyways, I need you to book and appointment for Mikado Sannoji on this date. He will be getting surgery done on his skull to try and remove what I believe is a variant of Bell's palsy."

"If I'm correct, isn't Bell's palsy the weakness in facial muscles due to nerve damage?" Kanade spoke up. "I think I read that in a textbook once, but I can't be quite sure."

"Actually, that's correct. Bell's palsy causes certain facial muscles to be weakened to the point that the afflicted can be mistaken for having a stroke, basically like partial paralysis. It's most likely caused by the inflammation of the nerve that controls muscles, and my biggest suspect right now are the fragments of skull that came off during Mikado's lobotomy." Kanata explained. "However, Mikado is a much different case than the ones I've seen, and even those are rare. According to multiple testimonies, including his own, he is able to move his face in the case of portraying extreme emotions. My hypothesis is that the skull shards are actively moving, though at least one of them has to have penetrated some area of the brain in some way."

"So, are you going to remove the piece of broken skull as well?" Kanade asked. "Syobai showed me once that Mikado's skull was broken enough that he could press down and move it a bit with only a couple of fingers. Of course, it was painful for Mikado, so his nerves haven't been dulled in that regard, not around three years ago at least."

"Yes, I'm planning to remove everything that's damaged and replace it with a 3D printed skull piece." The surgeon answered. "Of course, since I didn't get my Ultimate talent for no reason, I can do all of this without doing anything to Mikado's actual appearance, like shaving his head. I can promise that he will look relatively normal post-surgery, albeit with a scar on the top of his head, but that can be hidden by his hair."