Chapter 58: Too tired

****

Jason

Empty.

I stretched my hands again beside me searching and all I found was a cold empty space beside me.

She left me.

Immediately I opened my eyes going fully into panic mode and switched on the Egyptian style bed style lamp.

My heart was thumping loudly as my eyes adjusted quickly to the light and settled on the curled up figure on the couch.

I let out a harsh breath I didn't even know I was holding and rubbed my eyes to clear the sleep.

The bedside clock showed that it was few minutes past five already.

I got up and made towards the couch. It was a one seated brown couch at the end of the room, where you can sit on to put on your shoes or put it off.

So, imagine how uncomfortable it must be for Liz. She had tucked in her legs under and placed her head on the arm of the chair. Curled up like a little girl.

My forever girl.

Last night when I finished showering and returned to the closet Liz had fallen asleep and I had to carry her to bed.

Even in sleep Liz wore a tiny puckered frown and her rosebud lips jutted forward in a pout.

Last night I felt like memorising her features and burning it to memory but right now the feeling was in even more intense.

I carried her to bed again. Liz relaxed in my arms. Her hands going to curl themselves around my neck and she released a sigh.

I laid her back in bed gently. Pulling the grey blanket over her and just like that she was uncomfortable again. We were both Cuddlers and loved physical contact before going to bed.

I have never wanted to touch her like I do right now but I couldn't and I know she got up from the bed because of me.

Wasn't it just last week we were fighting in a different bed till we broke the bed?

Now we were like strangers leaving the bed for each other.

I picked a pillow and blanket and moved downstairs to use the couch in the smaller coffee room.

The couch was uncomfortable and I tossed over and over before finally asleep. Thoughts of my marriage, Jadesola, our future and the doctor news was heavy on my mind.

***

What's your definition of trust?

Is it just being sure your partner was faithful or knowing someone has your back irrespective of what comes next?

I balanced a tray of blueberry waffles, scrambled eggs, freshly squeezed orange juice and water and climbed the stairs gently.

I was dreading having this conversation with Liz even though I knew we had to have it.

Just as I expected, Liz was awake now. She had her suitcase on the bed and was throwing stuff from the drawers into the suitcase. I sighed heavily and dropped the tray on the vanity table .

Trust isn't just the big things. Its in the little things like knowing someone would smile at you and welcome your presence.

"I brought food." I said gruffly scratching my head and dug my hands into the pocket of my sweat pants.

"Okay." Liz replied and continued with what she was doing.

She was giving me the cold shoulder.

I shuffled on both feet nervously while waiting for her to eat but she was too busy packing.