Chapter 57: No one left

***

"Elizabeth Matthews right?" The detective asked with a gentle unsure smile.

Liz who schooled all her features into a cold mask gave a clipped yes in response.

"Are you sure of what you are saying?" The detective asked for the fifth time staring at the frail women with empty, glassy eyes.

"Yes," Liz confirmed. "I was down in the kitchen making hot cocoa and suddenly began to have migraines and flashes of what happened which is how I remembered then I felt a sharp migraine pain and I slumped."

At least it's part of the story.

"Are you in an abusive marriage?" The detective asked confused at why she was lying for him.

"No." Liz answered and licked her dry lips.

"Do you know that without a favourable statement from you, we may not have a case?"

"Yes I do." Nodding repeatedly.

"Is that why you came in here to lie to us? Your therapist insists that you told her the opposite was case." He leaned forward trying to be more intimidating but Liz wasn't changing her mind.

"Actually, what I say to my therapist is confidential and she has no right to reveal it except if I was a danger to myself or others which I'm not. Wherever this case leads to, you also can't make me testify against my husband especially under the fifth amendment laws. So, you'll need real proof beyond who said this and that." Liz tried hard to make sure her voice didn't crack or waiver.

"Oh, I see you know your laws."

"Yes I do. We learn laws applicable to our profession."

The detective stared at her for while then got up and walked out in his place Doctor Grayson entered and Liz could literally feel the strength leave her with the look of disappointment in her face.

"Why are lying? Even knowing how this makes me look like a fool."

"I'm sorry." Liz said honestly, "I really am. I know we have never crossed the healthy boundaries of Therapist to Patient but I owe you so much. Its not my intention to make you look like a fool but you're asking me to choose. Will I testify knowing it will hurt my husband? At the same time you listening to me has pulled me out the darkest times of my life. Between your ego and his mistake I'll be the victim and I'm begging you to drop it."

"Can't you see that I want to protect you too?" She shook her head sadly.

"I know but you can't. The deal has been done." This wasn't something she could protect her from.

"I still do not trust that all my patient files are safe."

"Then trust me. Its all I'm asking you to do. You don't have to trust him but me."

Liz knew what she was about to say and she was barely holding on already yet she waited to hear it.

"I can't be your doctor anymore."

"I understand." Liz bowed her head in front of her mentor, her friend, her guide. She understood that the sacred link between patient and doctor trust between them was broken.

"Take care Elizabeth. Please take care of yourself ." The door closed behind Doctor Grayson and Liz shivered in the warm investigation room.

She was all alone now. Every main pillar was ripped off.

Liz didn't cry, she didn't shout slowly she just felt disconnected from all.

She sat there even when they told her Jason was going to be released. Liz said nothing choosing instead to reminisce on fifteen years of solid counselling and friendship.