Chapter 63: Picking the pieces

****

Up close the clouds looked like fuzzy, huge balls of white cotton wool.
Liz kept staring at the clouds through the airplane's window and let out a bone weary sigh. Her brows were drawn together in concentration as she stared out.

She had her legs curled up underneath her and her arms wrapped protectively around her still flat stomach. Ever since she found out she was pregnant, she was constantly touching her stomach to remind herself that life was really growing in there.

She needed to feel the warm skin, it kept her sane, right now it was the only thing keeping her sane.

Few feet from her, Pamela was sitting with her head resting on her husband's shoulder.

Pamela had told her she was going to Lagos without giving her room for arguments two nights ago.  Here they were now on Chris's personal jet enroute to Lagos.

Liz didn't even argue, she didn't want to be alone. She didn't want to go home either, she didn't have a home to go to.

Pamela still hasn't said one word about the suicide attempt to her. But Liz could see the questions, pain and guilt in her eyes. When she entered that hospital room two days ago after Chris walked out on Liz, she had wrapped her arms around Liz from the back and had hugged her in silence.

The first few hours after he left felt like she was drowning. Especially when she knew he wasn't going to come back.

Let's stop now Liz, we aren't loving right.

Liz was still so lost in thought and didn't know when Pamela got up, till she felt her coming to seat beside her and placed her head on Liz's shoulder.

Liz turned her head to rest it on Pamela's own before whispering, "I'm sorry Pam." her throat started clogging with tears.

She still had more tears to shed. Even when she thought she had no more.
The shame was a like a bitter pill to swallow. Shame was the only major emotion that was prominent the last two days.

"I am hurting Liz. I swear you hurt me, but we are going to be okay. We are going to go to Lagos and you'll go to therapy. You'll learn to live for yourself."

"He left me," Liz whispered quietly.

"I know baby. And I know you love him. I know he loves you with all his heart. But Liz, Jason can't fix you, it's not his job."

"Where do I start from all by myself with a baby?"

"Look into my eyes Elizabeth," Pamela commanded and gripped Liz's hand tight in her palms, staring straight into Liz's eyes.

"We will figure it out together. You're not alone, you're never alone. You have me, Chris, you have two beautiful children in Dan and Ella. Joy, Jude, Jason, your in-laws, who have been calling me non stop. We will support you even when it is hard, you just have to lean on me like you are right now, okay?"

Liz nodded and started crying then placed her head on Pamela's lap.

*****
One month Later.

"If you miscarried that baby will you still want to live?" Julie Adenuga; the new therapist Liz was seeing asked.

Liz suddenly felt a bone chilling cold and adjusted on the cushion not knowing how to answer the question that made her feel sick to her stomach.  Her right hand was propped on the chair's arm rest supporting her head. And her legs were thrust forth in front of her on the soft golden brown cushions in reckless abandon.

The office was different from every other ones she has been in. It was done in such a way that made it look more like a home than an office. From the rugged floor to the soft cushions, and the art pieces. Liz fixed her eyes on one of such stunning artwork. It was a painting of a sad girl child who tied an Ankara print fabric on her chest with her hair made into cornrows that looked messy.