Chapter 10: Midnight call

*****
For mama Prudy64 I love you tons. I updated chapter 10,11,12,13, read in order!

***
"You turn this bad boy into a busybody" _Ladipoe (know you)

Liz

Life is so unpredictable sometimes it just keeps pitching you curves. I knew this at an early age yet sometimes I still get shocked at some things it brings my way.

Widowed. I really wasn't expecting that, too complicated and definitely messy.

I shook my head strongly as if it will clear the thoughts building up in it. My buzzer alerted me to the fact that I was needed in the Emergency unit for a consult.

"Hey Doctor Brown. You are needed in trauma bay 6" Megan the chief nurse said.

"Alright" placing my hand under the electric dispenser to sanitise it and going in.

A pregnant beautiful woman lay on her side with her husband clutching her hands. Their body language spoke volumes of anxiety and the woman looked too dependent on the man.

Her eyes were trained on him like a puppy to master.

Doctor Dean was back from sabbatical and I mentally face palmed myself when I saw him, hanging up a bag of normal saline on an IV stand.

I told you not to eat where you shit.

When I moved here late last year I had a fling of some sort and it was supposed to be just sex hookups till he dropped the L word on me.

I ran, like my life depended on it.

"Excuse us," leading me out of the room.

"Dr Dean, you're back" I said curling up the side of my mouth in a smile that didn't reach my eyes. He was lovely and all but I'm not interested in any kind of commitment not with him or anyone else.

Blue grey eyed soldier looks like temptation though.

But you're too messed up for anyone else anyway.

"Yes. I know you didn't miss me" he smiled while I rolled my eyes. He was too easy, too emotional, so definitely a no.

"You paged me" I responded, digging my hands into the pocket of my ward coat.

"Look at this," handing me the hospital tab, displayed on it was an ultrasound result.

Wow!

Four years practising and I've only read about it I've never seen an actual case, she was pregnant but there was no baby.

"I don't even know how this is possible, we have run the scans five times but nothing. Yet she should be 4 months pregnant, hormonal changes everything is positive the only issue is there is no actual baby in that stomach."