chapter 68: Reunion and sappy friendships

"Jason." Liz shouted and shot up from where she sat on the red couch in the hallway of Jason's office waiting for him to show up.

A plea.

A prayer.

A promise.

The name meant all of this as it rolled out of her lips. Then he stopped in his track, raising his head from his phone which he was pressing furiously probably why he didn't notice her in the first place and passed by her but Jason knew that raspy voice anywhere he heard it.

He knew that voice as much as he  would his name, it was the same one that called to him at night with blood flowing from her wrists.

It was the same voice that screamed, "you did this to me" every single night. Till he woke up screaming with panic attacks.

But maybe it was all in his messed up head. Post traumatic stress disorder, the therapist he was seeing now called what was going on with him.

He couldn't be hearing her call out to him here. Liz was in Nigeria, she was with Iya Agba.

Do you ever wish for something so bad it comes to you? Some say you manifest it into existence. Because this had to be a dream, another attempt by his mind to trap him in the pain of loosing her by making him hallucinate things. It wasn't fair to him, especially now that he was finally accepting it.

But then Liz called out to him again, "Jason." And Jason had to believe that it was true. That she was here, where he was, within feet of him not a mere picture his mind cooked up.

She was here but Jason couldn't bare to look at her. So instead he looked at the receptionist at the far end of the room. He stared at the grey painted walls, at the elevator which just dinged and the people milling out of the elevator, at their shoes, at every detail as they whipped past him. He just stood there still, as still as he could be, staring at everywhere with his hands fisted in his pocket and his jaw clenched so tight.

Liz kept standing there after he refused to acknowledge her with  even a simple glance. She watched her husband turned robot until she couldn't take it any longer and started walking towards him.

This was operation; get my husband back, and she wasn't going to just run away.

He still didn't look at her till she was standing right in front of him clouding his vision and he had no other choice than to look but even though he could he turned his head away not staring directly at her.

Jason's heart was thumping in his chest and it felt like it would tear out of the confines of his ribcage with how hard he was breathing.

"Jason." Liz called out for the third time and swallowed a lump that formed in her throat cause she was so close to crying now, her brown eyes shiny with sheen of tears.

She had been waiting in that hallway for three hours. Finding him had been harder than she thought it will be. From going to the San Francisco office, to LA and finally to Chicago.

It has been a whole week of travelling  from place to place and it needed to at least matter to him because she was bone tired.

"Are you not going to look at me, Mismatched eyes?" She asked this time, her lips stretching to a smile at how good it felt calling him that again.

Like a magnet drawn to metal, or bee to honey,Jason turned to look at her.

One minute. Five minutes. Ten minutes. Liz wasn't keeping track of time but they just stared at each other for a while, looking to each others fill.

He was wearing blue. A navy blue suit that matched the light shade of the blue of his eyes. A full three piece suit that hanged off majestically over his shoulder. With a gold wrist watch on his wrist and brown shoes.