Chapter 19 : His silence

For tifeloluwa

*****
  "I wear my scars like an armour,
   And trade my joy for for protection"

****

Liz belched loudly and stared at Jason confused.

Jason on the other hand was laughing like a mad man, you know the hysterical type with tears streaming down your face. Laughter that Nigerians call 'laughter tie gele'(laughter that wore headgear)

Minutes ago Liz thought life was weird, when Jason placed a round white lump like food in her front and called it Semovita alongside the Egusi soup his mom made the day before.

She looked at the weird food for a while, considering how the food would choke her. Like 'who swallows this thing'.

  Then raised her nose in disdain and continued to study the plate of food.

It should never be said that Liz is a coward that runs away from a challenge, even if the challenge meant death by food poisoning. So she washed her hands the same way Jason did and made a small cut while sending apologies to her intestines.

Liz dipped the small morsel of food into the soup and made sure it came out alongside small diced pieces of meat and fish and stared at it.

"Just eat already, stop being a chicken." Jason sneered. Liz considered plastering the food in his face but changed her mind since the soup was made with love by her future mother in-law.

She swallowed and chewed slowly allowing all the flavors burst in her mouth, 'holy moly!'

But wait first, is this real? To answer her subconscious question she took another slightly bigger morsel and repeated the process.

No,No! Two morsels turned into sixteen or is it twenty, how the hell do you expect her to know, when food tastes this good?

One large glass of water and a loud belch, 'ahhhh' she also rubbed her stomach in the process. This was the cause of Jason's mad laughter.

"I thought you said that thing can choke and damage your airway. You didn't even leave one drop of soup." Jason reminded her his eyes wrinkled in mirth.

"Shut up!" rolling her eyes at him.

"Shut down" he replied and pointed to her still flat stomach that just consumed all that amount of food.

"How old are you again?" a loud hiss followed her statement. Liz felt so stuffed, she had to drag her body to the couch.

The duo settled down and continued their stupid food argument which Jason suddenly broke. "I'm leaving tomorrow, I've been called for a mission."

Liz shot up quickly at his statement, "How long will you be gone for?" Worry lines creasing her brow.

"I dont know." He played with a lock of her curls that fell out of place, then added "You wanted us to talk."