Chapter 55: Lie to me

Listen to Bruises by Lewis Capaldi

****
Liz

How much do you truly know someone? Be it your lover, friend or family.

How far can you go to vouch for them?

They say you never know more than what people let you see but its not true. I say the truth is right there in front of you but you refuse to see or acknowledge it.

I watched Jason fawn over me. He took turns asking me questions about how I was feeling and must have kissed my hands like fifty times already. He hasn't said anything regarding last night event I guess he was waiting for me to take the lead.

"What do you want to eat? Do I__"  cut him off before he could finish.

"How long have you known?" I asked staring at him intently.

"Lizzy" he begged but I wasn't having it,I had to know.

"From the very beginning." He couldn't meet my eyes rather he stuck them to the hospital floor.

"Where is the beginning?" I tried hard not to but my voice was shaking still I studied him, I'll rather have the truth than live comfortably in the lie.

"Before our first date, I had some of your details with the lost ID card and I know I shouldn't have done it, I swear I regret it so much. Somehow I was curious but there wasn't much about you online so I searched deeper."

I still couldn't understand the why.

"Why check my medical records? Why go as far as to hack my therapy notes and why in Gods name did you act like you didn't know? Its almost three years since we have been together plus dating but not even once yet you saw how hard it was for me." My eyes filled with tears, I felt betrayed somehow I felt like I didn't know this man in front of me.

His head hung low he didn't say anything. I'm trying hard not to cry but its hard. Somehow everything was hurting especially my head and my heart.

"Why will you tell your sister about something so personal then? Is that how little I matter to you?"

He jerked his head up now, meeting my eyes with his mismatched pair and grabbed my hands in a desperate bid to plead his cause, "I swear that I didn't tell Jade that. Please believe me, I'll never disrespect you like that."

This time I shouted, "hacking a strangers record is already disrespect. What does privacy mean to you?"

"So if you knew so much about my dirty past in accurate details even more than I did, why pursue me? Why pretend to be interested?" I had so much Why's in my head it was tiring.

Jason held my hands tight in his grasp, his face stern with worry and remorse then said, "baby please believe me when I say it didn't matter. Not once did knowing that change what I feel about you. Not once did I look at you any different I loved you and I still do, so I went after you."

This time riotous tears slipped down my cheeks and I wiped it off furiously. I wanted to believe him, I really wanted to it's just that right now even I don't want me, who am I to believe some one else will?

"I left the papers at home in my room. It was in a drawer and it was locked, I was going to burn it  somehow I didn't but I don't know Jadesola went in there. My room is always locked but for the longest time I always keep cash there in case of emergency."

I pulled out my hands from his grasps and folded them around myself.

Jason was nervous and he fiddled his wedding band probably not knowing what to do with himself as an awkward silence sat heavily.