Before Sunset

Rhea POV:

"So, you just walked away from him?!" Rebekah asked me incredulously as she stared at me with wide cerulean blue eyes and I bent down to pick up some of the streamers that were on the gymnasium floor.

My sister and I were cleaning up after the decade dance the night before and I was filling Rebekah in on everything that happened since she was unconscious thanks to our mother's meddling.

Understandably, she was not very happy that she wasn't able to attend the dance that she had helped plan nor was she very supportive of my interactions with a certain Salvatore.

"That's right." I confirmed calmly as I threw the streamers in the large black garbage bag that was in my hand with a small smile in her direction and she scoffed loudly me as she shook her head rapidly from side to side so that her blonde hair flew wildly around her. "Stefan loves Elena. He said so himself. Why should I continue to put myself in a position to get hurt?"

"I hate it when you're so reasonable." She commented under her breath as she bend down to pick up some plastic cups from the floor and I chuckled lightly at her as I threw a cup at her in reprimand.

"It's not like it matters anyway. We're leaving with Nik, right? We can start a new life somewhere. Maybe we can go back to New Orleans. Our family was once happy there." I reminded her with a wistful smile as I paused in my pursuit of cleaning up and she gave me a disbelieving look over her shoulder so I held up a hand in mock surrender. "Okay, expect for all the daggering and boyfriend killing and leaving. But to be fair, Bekah, Emil? Really?"

"It wasn't your boyfriend Nik killed. You know, you're lucky that he hasn't ripped Stefan's heart out yet." Rebekah said to me carelessly as she threw some more empty red cups in her garbage bag and I offered her an innocent smile as I crouched down to grab some more streamers.

"Yes, well, I have better taste in men than you." I teased her lightly as I threw the paper in the garbage bag in my hand and Rebekah threw an empty plastic cup at me in retaliation. "Hey!"

"Shut up. I'm not sure Niklaus is a very good character reference to have for a boyfriend." She replied tauntingly as she smirked at me over her shoulder and I stuck my tongue out at her childishly as I placed some cups in the trash bag. "Anyway, I think you should stay here."

"And why is that, dearest sister?" I asked her with a smile as turned to face her with my hands on my hips and she spun around to face my with a stern expression on her pretty face.

"Because you love Stefan! And despite what Stefan says, he loves you too." Rebekah told me passionately as she dropped her trash bag on the ground at her feet and took a few steps in my direction as I sighed at her in exhaustion because I was tired of talking about this with her. "You deserve to be happy and Stefan can make that happen. Think about it, Rhea! Even Nik likes him, so you finally have a chance to have a proper relationship."

"He. Loves. Elena." I told her as I enunciated each word slowly as though she was a small child who didn't understand and she threw me a blank look as stared at me until I sighed in defeat. "I just want him to be happy, Rebekah. If Elena can make him happy, than they have my blessing."

"You should fight for him!"

"How? How, Rebekah? I told him how I felt, I kissed him. What more do you want me to do?" I asked her helplessly as I dropped the garbage bag I was holding on the ground and Rebekah stared at me silently for a moment as she considered my question.

"You could kill the doppelgänger bitch." She suggested evenly as she shrugged her shoulders delicately and I laughed lightly as I shook my head at her.