Do Not Go Gentle

Elena POV:

I smirked to myself as I watched Caroline stare incredulously towards where Matt and Jeremy were standing on a latter hanging stars from the ceiling. My blonde friend had roped me into helping her decorate for the 1920's dance and I was regretting it.

"What are you doing? You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down." Caroline snapped at the boys angrily as she placed her hands on her hips and I smothered a laugh at their slightly terrified expression.

Care sighed at them as she rolled her blue eyes and turned back to me with a confused look. "Look at them all bromancy."

"Yeah I asked Matt to help Jeremy readjust. He got him his old job back at the grill." I explained as I sorted through the mountain of fabric on the table and Caroline quirked an eyebrow at me.

"That was nice of him."

"Jeremy has got a lot on his mind. The whole thing with Alaric has got him really stressed out." I continued to tell her as I focused all of the attention on the material in front of us and Caroline pursed her lips together as she thought.

"You sure it has nothing to do with witnessing you and Damon getting hot and heavy in a skeevy motel?" Caroline asked rhetorically with a spiteful tone in her voice and I stopped working to stare at her blankly until she shrugged innocently.

"I didn't tell you that so you could torture me with it." I reminded her in amusement as I rolled my eyes at her and she grinned at me brightly.

"Aww, what are friends for? So who are you bringing to the dance?" she asked me slyly as she looked away from me and I furrowed my eyes at her in confusion.

"What do you mean? I thought you, Bonnie and I were going as girl dates." I said to her with a smile as I wrapped a black feather boa around my neck and she quirked an eyebrow at me with a coy smile.

"Hm, Bonnie has a date. Jamie called and wanted to see her so she asked him. So here's a thought, why don't you ask Stefan?" she asked me hopefully as she tried to look completely innocent and I gave her a pointed look as I moved towards her slightly so no one would hear what I had to say next.

"I can't ask him on a date, I just made out with his brother."

"All the more reason! Look you're supposed to be figuring out what you want, that's what Stefan wanted you to do, right? I've watched The Bachelor, okay? Fair is fair. It is Stefan's turn." Caroline declared passionately as she pointed at me and I chuckled lightly at her as I rolled my eyes at her.

"Yeah and you're not biased or anything." I told her as I took off the feather boa and threw it on the table in front of us.

"I'm sorry, but Stefan is your epic love. And I'm not going down without a fight." Caroline persisted sternly as she turned her back to the table and I smiled slightly at her with a sigh.

I glanced over to where Jeremy and Matt were hanging stars and frowned when I noticed a familiar head of honey coloured hair disappearing out of the gymnasium doors.

___________________________

Rhea POV:

I was sitting in my bedroom the night of the decade dance where I was reading the last few chapters of Pride and Prejudice on my bed in my pyjamas when I heard someone knock on the bedroom door.

I wiped the leftover wetness from my cheek with the back of my hand and folder the corner of the page down so that I knew where I left off.

I had gone to the high school earlier to see with Caroline needed any help setting up for the dance since Rebekah had disappeared off the face of the planet and had accidently overheard her trying to talk Elena into going to the dance with Stefan.