Flashback #2

New Orleans, 1888:

Rheanna Mikaelson rolled her pretty oak coloured eyes as she looked around at the extravagant ball that her older brother had thrown for some unexplainable reason.

Her expense violet coloured gown stood out from the other girls in attendance and drew the deniable attention of men and women alike but all she could think about was getting away from the masses of people that had invaded her room for the evening.

She glanced over to the side of the room where she saw a familiar blonde haired young woman in a burgundy gown standing in the middle of a swarm of men that were all vying for her attention.

Rhea chuckled lightly at the scene in front of her as watched her twin sister smile falsely at whatever the man next to her was saying and frowned sympathetically when she noticed Rebekah stealing glances across the ballroom.

The honey haired Original followed her gaze until she saw a dark skinned young man standing next to their brother Niklaus.

Marcel laughed loudly at something that Rhea couldn't hear and she scowled to herself as she stole a flute of champagne from a passing waiter.

Even after a year of being woken up from being daggered for 52 years by Niklaus because she was in love with the then human Marcel, Rebekah still held a candle of affection for the young vampire.

Rhea shook her head slightly at the dramatic turn of events and looked back out at the dance floor filled with happily waltzing couples.

“Having fun?” a familiar female voice asked her teasingly from behind making a genuine smile spread across her lips as she spun around to face the newcomer.

“Oh, yes. I’m the life of the party, Lexi.” Rhea answered her friend’s question with an overdramatic flip of her long honey hair and the tall blonde in front of her laughed lightly as she wrapped the Original Vampire in a tight hug of greeting.

“It’s good to see you, Rhea.” Alexa Branson said to her friend with a soft smile as she pulled away from the hug and discreetly looked over the girl in front of her to make sure that she was looking healthy.

Rhea rolled her eyes as she caught her friend raking her hazel-green eyes over her figure and gave her a pointed look as Lexi gaze crept back up to her eyes.

Even though Rheanna was an 800 years older than her, Lexi had always felt a little bit responsible for the pretty girl in front of her because she was technically 21 years old in human years while Rhea was only 17 when she was changed.

“I’m fine, étoile filante. How are you? Last I heard you were mentoring a baby vampire.”

“Oh, yes. Stefan.” Lexi confirmed with a nod of her head as a fond smile unintentionally crept across her lips and Rhea tilted her head to the side slightly in consideration.

“Does my brother have some competition?” Rhea asked her playfully as her oak brown eyes twinkled with mirth at her companion’s expense and the blonde next to her rolled her hazel eyes in retaliation to her teasing.

“No.” she protested firmly with a smile still on her lips as her gaze unconsciously slipped to the other side of the ballroom where Elijah stood dutifully next to Nikaus and Marcel.

Rhea chuckled as she followed her friend’s loving gaze over to her older brother and didn’t notice that their group of two had been joined by another pretty blonde with cerulean blue eyes.

“What are you two gossiping about?” Rebekah asked the two of them politely as she glided up to the pair of girls and smirked as she followed their gaze over to the group of men by the wall on the other side of the room.

 Rhea turned her head in surprise to give her sister a warm smile in greeting before returning her attention to the younger vampire.

“Lexi was just telling me about her new recruit.” Rhea explained to Rebekah with a small smile on her lips as Lexi reluctantly pulled her eyes off of Elijah and gave her a confused look at her words.

“What were we talking about?” she asked her friends incredulously as she gently shook her head to clear it for thoughts of her on-again-off-again love and the twin shared an amused laugh at her baffled expression.

“Stefan?” Rhea prompted her friends with a teasing smile as Rebekah giggled next to her and Lexi jumped slightly as she remembered what they were speaking about before she got side-tracked by thoughts of Elijah.

“Right! Rhea, he is definitely your type.” She informed the Original Twins with a sly grin as the girl in question rolled her oak coloured eyes and Rebekah chuckled at her sister’s expense. “Oh, come on, Rhea! He is really handsome. Tousled sandy brown hair. Light green eyes. Amazing cheek bones.”

“If he’s so great why don’t you go with him?” Rebekah asked her sceptically as she pursed her pretty lips together in thought and Rheanna nodded enthusiastically in agreement because she hated when people tried to set her up with people.

“Because she already has someone.” A deep male voice answered from behind the trio just as Lexi opened her mouth to respond and the three girls turned to see that Elijah had decided to join them.

He skilfully slipped his arm possessively around Lexi’s thin waist as he glared through narrowed oak coloured eyes at a man that has stared at her too long for his liking and then looked back at his younger sisters as Lexi relaxed in his arm.

“No need to get defensive, ‘Lijah. It was just a question.” Rhea told him with a small smirk at her older brother’s clear show of maleness and the other two girls giggled at her words as he quirked his lips at her in a quick smile.

“Dance with me, darling?” he asked Lexi as he turned his head slightly to look at her beautiful oval shaped face and she smiled shyly at him as she nodded her head in acceptance.

Rebekah and Rheanna both smiled as their friend walked towards the dance floor arm in arm with their brother before Rhea turned to her twin with a sad smile on her face when she noticed that the blonde attention had once again drifted over to where Marcel was standing.

“We’ll get our happily ever after, Bekah.”