The Killer

Rhea POV:

Stefan and I were in one of the numerous living rooms in the mansion talking on the phone with my brother who was in Italy with Rebekah digging up the hunter's sword.

We had just found out that Connor had escaped from his torture chamber by killing one of Nik's hybrids while Stefan and I were out that morning and to say that Nik was not happy about was an understatement of the year.

"How the hell did Connor escape?" I hissed angrily as I paced the length of the room furiously while Stefan sat on the couch watching my silently and I heard Nik sigh on the other end of the cell phone that was on loud speaker on the coffee table in the middle of the room.

"I'd blame mind numbing incompetence, but pointing fingers isn't going to help me, you two going to help me." Nik ordered us sternly as I stopped in the middle of the room and scowled at my brother through the phone even though he couldn't see me.

"Well, he could be anywhere now." Stefan stated calmly as he leaned his elbows on his knees and I shook my head in annoyance as I crossed my arms of my chest.

"Think, Stefan. He took the hybrid's head which means he wants werewolf toxin which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls to kill vampires. Such a pity, as I'm half the world away digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my blood and therefore, the antidote. Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure, so your task is quite simple; find him, catch him, and above all, keep him alive. He's no good to us dead." Nik reminded us in a cocky tone as I shook my head and began pacing the length of the room once again as I ran a hand through my messy honey coloured hair.

"Damon's been looking everywhere for him, if they cross paths...." Stefan trailed off as his forest green eye locked on mine and I offered him a small sympathetic smile because I knew he was having a hard time keeping all of this from his brother. "It would be a lot easier if I could just tell him the truth."

"You trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is?"

"Nice try, Klaus. But I trust Damon a hell of a lot more than I trust you." Stefan told him pointedly as he leaned back into the couch and I sunk down next to him with a sigh as I crossed my ankles.

"The more who find out about the cure, the more who will go after it. Nations have gone to war over less. You mark my words, tell one soul and I will throw the hunter's sword in the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Am I understood?" Nik asked lightly as I rolled my eyes at his behaviour and Stefan sighed impatiently as he placed his arm around my shoulders.

"We get it, Nik." I assured him in an irritated tone of voice as I leaned into Stefan's embrace and rested my head on his broad shoulder as I closed my eyes. "How are you and Rebekah getting on?"

"Ah, our sister is still pretending to hate me at the moment, but I gave her my black card and she ran off to the nearest shoe store so things might be looking up."

"Wait a minute! You left me for dead as well you know. Does that mean I can have no limit shopping spree when you get back? Because I really need some new Louboutins." I argued as I leaned forward on the couch and stared intently through narrowed eyes at the phone as though it would be the one answering my question for me.

"Talk to me when we get back." Nik told me jokingly as Stefan chuckled besides me and I sighed in defeat as Nik hung up the phone from the other side of the world.

_________________________

"So, we each take a different entrance; hit them at the same time." I heard Damon say to the group as Stefan and I strolled into the room hand in hand after getting the phone call from Damon that Connor had taken Matt, Jeremy and April hostage at the Grill.