1912

Rhea POV:

Rebekah and I strolled into the Mikaelson Mansion soon after we had meet up at the entrance of the old caves where she had been keeping Elena while we dealt with mother and Finn.

On the way back to the mansion I had filled Rebekah in on what had happened at the abandoned witch's house while she returned the favour by describing in detail how she had nearly lit Elena Gilbert on fire.

When she finished her story by informing me that there had been a new white oak tree 300 years after we had fled back to the Old World, to say I was surprised would be an understatement.

The house was eerily silent as I looked around the seemingly empty house and Rebekah pursed her lips together in distain while sweeping her gaze across the room.

"Where the bloody hell is everyone?" Rebekah asked out loud as she threw her arms out to her side and I shrugged my shoulders delicately as I started walking further into the house.

I heard someone sigh softly in the living off to the side and I turned my head to the side to see Elijah standing in front of the window with his hands in his pants pockets.

"It's over, Rebekah, Rheanna." He said as he slowly turned around with a grim look on his handsome face and I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

"What happened to mother?" I asked him softly as I walked into the room with Rebekah at my side and Elijah gave me a look that with a slightly pitying before turning his gaze to the side of the room so that he didn't have to look me in the eye.

"We have no mother. Only Esther and Esther was right."

"What do you mean?" Rebekah asked him incredulously as she frowned at him and I paused where I was as I tried to stop the thoughts that were swirling in my head.

"My talk of virtue. When it suits my needs, I kill, maim, and torment. Even today, I terrorized an innocent." Elijah explained softly but it sounded as though he was talking more to himself than to us and I frowned at his words as I stepped forward slowly.

"Elena is hardly innocent." Rebekah spat at him angrily with a scoff and I slapped her arm in reprimand.

"And I used your hatred of her to get what I wanted. Wielded you like I would a sword. My sister."

"You did it to protect us, Elijah." I told him in a soft voice as I walked up to stand next to him and placed my hand gently on his arm in comfort.

"Mother made us vampires. She didn't make us monsters, we did that to ourselves." He told me as he looked down at me with warm oak brown eyes and I offered him an understanding smile as I nodded my head slightly.

I heard the retreating footsteps as Rebekah exited the room to give us a moment of privacy because she knew that Elijah and I had a connection she didn't understand.

"It was ridiculous to think that we would stay the same people we were when we human. We've been alive for 1000 years, brother. We try on personalities the way Rebekah tries on outfits at the mall." I replied in a soft slightly teasing tone and he chuckled softly at my comment as he covered my hand that was still resting on his arm. "Sometimes we do things that we later come to regret but so do humans, Elijah. When that happens all we can do is admit it, come to terms with it and then try not to make the same mistake in the future. It's part of the human condition."

"Rhea, today I did things I abhor to protect the one thing I value most. Our family." Elijah said to me as he walked slowly towards the couch in the middle of the room and I frowned slightly in confusion as I followed him. I sunk down onto the cushion next to him as he sat down and I tucked my legs underneath myself as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.