O Come, All Ye Faithful

Klaus POV:

The mansion was silent.

I had always hated silence.

Silence made it easier for memories of the past to get pass the carefully built barriers I had constructed for the sole purpose of keeping the memories faded in the back of my mind. There was so much that I wanted, needed to keep far away from the present.

Remembering a time when Henrick was alive was heartbreaking.

Remembering Mikael's lashings was agonisingly painful.

Remembering when we were all a family... it was unbearable knowing it would never happen again.

I stood alone in the parlour staring at the lone snowflake I had painted on the canvas in front of me.

Art had always been an escape for me. Even back when we were human, I had snuck off in the middle of the night or when I was meant to be doing chores and mixed colours out of leaves and berries to use as paints.

No knew. No cared.

That's what I had always thought, until the night I returned home to find the twins crying silently.

A fourteen year old, Rheanna had her arms wrapped tightly around her sister as she cried silently and Rebekah buried her face into the nook of her sister's shoulder.

When I had tiptoed into the room, they both looked up with shock written all over their features. I quietly asked them what they were crying about and Rebekah launched herself at me while Rheanna scowled.

Apparently, Rebekah had woken up in the middle of the night to a bad dream and went looking for me. When she couldn't find me in my bed or anywhere in the house her mind went to the worst possible place. She had come to the conclusion that Mikael had finally gone through with his most common threat and killed me.

For the next three nights, Rebekah and Rheanna stayed awake guarding the doorway so that I couldn't sneak out and worry them like that again.

Just thinking about that time brought a small genuine smile to my lips as I studied the snowflake and cocked my head to the side when I heard footsteps approaching the parlour I was working in.

"Looks like a giant snowflake." I heard my little sister's boyfriend and my old friend, Stefan Salvatore say from behind me in the doorway and I had to smirked at his lack of artistic knowledge.

"I prefer to think of it as an expression of post modernism. It's my donation to the Winter Wonderland charity event." I told him lightly as I placed the paintbrush I was holding down on the edge of the easel and stepped back so I could evaluate the solitary snowflake.

I heard a set of footsteps coming closer to the parlour and I turned around just as one of my hybrids, Adrian walked into the room to stand next to Stefan.

"You said it was urgent." Adrian stated as he crossed his arms over his broad chest and I quirked an eyebrow at him as I grabbed a cloth to wipe my paint covered hands on.

"Yes, take this to the Mystic Grill immediately." I ordered him as I nodded my head towards the canvas besides me and he eyed the painting shrewdly for a moment before looking back at me.

"You want me to be a delivery guy?" He asked me disbelievingly with a slightly scoff in his voice and I narrowed me eyes at him as I walked towards him until the space between us was minimal.

"What I want is for you to do whatever I say. Without the attitude." I told him pointedly with authority in my voice as I looked at him with an emotionless mask on my face and Adrian grimaced to himself as he crossed the room to carefully pick up the painting up the edge of the canvas before walking towards the door. "And be careful with that. It's still wet."