Down the Rabbit Hole

Rhea POV:

Rebekah was standing with her arms crossed with a frown etched onto her face as she glared out to the restless ocean while Stefan and I sat next to each other on one of the large rocks in the clearing and Elena stood a few yards away with her back to us.

I leaned my head on Stefan's broad shoulder with a sigh as I watched the doppelgänger explain our current situation to Caroline through her cell phone and my boyfriend slipped his arm around my shoulder comfortingly as he pressed a lingering kiss to my forehead.

"Tell me you're not serious." I heard Caroline exclaim in exasperation through the phone line after Elena had explained that Jeremy had gone missing the night before and I smirked to myself as I imagine the comical expression that her pretty face would look like at that moment with her eyebrow raised in question and her lips puckered in annoyance.

"I wish I weren't." Elena admitted with a sigh as she rubbed her forehead with her head tiredly and I felt a little sympathy for the girl because she was missing a brother after all. "When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were gone too. Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses."

"Well, where's Damon in all this?" Caroline asked her with irritation lacing her voice as Stefan stiffened at the mention of his older brother and I turned my head slightly too lightly kiss his throat in understanding because I knew that he was worried about the electric blue eyed vampire.

"We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle. Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him!"

"Do you think Shane took him?" Caroline asked her in concern as Elena started pacing around the clearing with a distressed from on her pretty face and I worriedly nibbled on my lower lip as I watched the doppelgänger shake her head even though the other girl couldn't see her through the phone line.

"No, I mean, he's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise. He must have someone, or at least a few someone's helping him."

"I'm so sorry. I wish I was there to help." Caroline said sincerely with a small sigh escaping her as I looked over at Rebekah's rigid back and frowned sympathetically because I knew that she was feeling completely discouraged at the moment.

"Well, maybe there's something you can do from home." Elena stated in a hopeful voice as she paused in her pacing to stare out at the rocky waves and I snapped my head around to look at the brunette in confusion because I had no idea what Caroline could do to help us from Mystic Falls.

Caroline hummed in acknowledgement as Elena tried to discreetly sneak a look at Rebekah's back before her dark brown eyes swept over to where Stefan and I were sitting watching her in a mixture of wariness and curiosity. "So Shane's looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map. Unless you get the Hunter's Sword from Klaus."

"He'll never give up the sword." Rebekah called nonchalantly over her shoulder without looking away from the water and I internally cringed because I knew exactly where the Hunter's Sword was hidden.

"Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, it's Caroline." Stefan reminded her pointedly as he looked over his shoulder at her and I stood up from the rock as I straightened out my coat while trying to ignore Stefan's questioning gaze.

"He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline. He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human." My sister spat bitterly as she turned around to face us with a scowl etched on her pretty face and I bit back some guilt that I felt for keeping a secret from her as I walked over to where Elena was standing watching the scene.