Bringing Out The Dead

3rd Person POV:

"You look surprised to see me. So it wasn't you that removed the dagger from my chest?" Elijah Mikaelson asked his younger brother Niklaus calmly as he wiped his hands clean of the blood that he gotten on his hands when he had ripped the hybrids heart from his chest only minutes before.

Niklaus swallowed thickly as he looked at his older brother in the eye and tried to plaster an impassive expression on his face so that Elijah didn't see the fear he felt.

"You look like you could do with a drink. And we have a lot to discuss, so shall we?" he asked steadily as he gestured with his hand into the room next to them and tried to keep the slight tremble out of his voice.

Elijah looked back his brother evenly for a silent moment before the rushed forward with his fist raised and punched Klaus in the jaw so hard that if he were human his head would have fallen off.

The younger Mikaelson brother was taken by surprise by the attack and was sent flying through the glass door behind him but was able to catch himself so he landed in a crouch.

"Easy. I just finished renovating. You know you have every right to be mad at me. But I kept my word, I reunited you with our family." Klaus spat out through clenched teeth as he slowly stood to his full height and Elijah's face twisted into a scowl as he rush towards his brother once more.

The two vampires collided and tumbled into the next room full of coffins in a mess of limbs as they landed punch after punch on the other.

Klaus detangled himself from Elijah long enough to open a coffin at random and pull the dagger from the chest of one of his siblings without looking which one it was.

He spun around quickly with the dagger in hand to fend off Elijah's next attack and ended up with the older brother pressed up against the oak coffin with the dagger positioned directly over his heart. "Don't make me do this to you again Elijah!"

"Come on. Use it. I dare you. You'll have Kol to deal with." Elijah reminded his brother softly as he tried to even out his breathing from the adrenaline rushing in his veins and Klaus snuck a quick over his shoulder to look at the handsome young man with light brown hair lying desiccated in the coffin he had recently opened.

Dread filled him as he turned his attention back to Elijah and lowered the dagger from his chest in defeat.

"Mikael is dead."

"What did you say?" Elijah asked in a demand as he pushed Niklaus away from him and stood up straight in surprise at the new revelation.

"I killed him. With his own weapon. He's gone Elijah. Forever." Klaus told him with a slight note of happiness in his accented voice and Elijah felt a surge of glee at the thought of no longer running until he remembered his siblings that were still locked in boxes.

"Why do our family remain in these coffins? Finn for over 900 years, Kol for over a century." He stated heatedly as he gestured with his hand to the coffin he had just being pressed up against and Klaus followed his movement with a frown on his face.

"Because of Stefan Salvatore. He holds the one thing keeping me from freeing them. There are things that you do not know about our past, Elijah. Our mother's death. Things I never wanted you to know but I'm ready to tell you now. I only ask that you remember the oath of loyalty you once swore to me." Klaus told him as he slowly stepped backwards and moved to stand next to a small table near the edge of the room that held a small jar of greyish ash.

Elijah watched curiously as he opened the jar and placed the dagger into the ash before taking it out again.

"What are you doing?" Elijah asked him in horror as Niklaus moved to stand next to Kol's coffin and then placed the dagger securely back into his younger brother's heart.