Chapter - 43:

Today was the last day, tomorrow we were heading back. But today was also the most important day because we were heading to Jay's house.

"Are you guys ready? Have you packed? We won't have the time to pack when we come back" I said.

"Yeah, we did. I also contacted Zander and told him that we will be returning tomorrow" Jesse replied. He is also great in coding and hacking so he must've coded the message well.

"Let's go," I said and we were off.

It was late by the time we got there. I opened the door from the spare keys that Jay used to hide inside the lamp which still sat on the side table.

"Dang! This place is so.... Dusty?" I rolled my eyes at Justin's comment.

"Of course, it is no one's been here since like... forever. Now shut up and get to work, look for anything.... Clues, something suspicious" I order

As I look around, I spot the game scramble. I remember Jay and I always used to play that when we were younger, my mother and Jay were the best at the game. They always won while dad and I lost most of the time. But as time passed, my mother too mastered me in the game, from making words to anagrams ... everything.

Y-B-U-R D-E-R were the letters on the board that was set up. I took the picture of it. An hour passed, I've cried once without anyone noticing, found Jay's diary. I walked down in the basement, suddenly, I tripped on something I couldn't see because of the dark.

I felt as if there was a very small hole under the carpet, I switched my phone's flashlight and moved the carpet aside. It was a hole indeed but what was even weird was that there was a passcode on it. I tried Jay's birthday, but it didn't even work, neither did Damon's deed. I finally put my birthday 552004. Lifting the lift, there was a letter with the same symbol as the one I found in my father's wheelchair and Mr. Jonson's study.

"Alright, what did you find-" I halted when I noticed the water bottle.

"What? Why are you looking at the water bottle? Are you thirsty?" Jesse stupidly asked.

"Someone's been here before us," I say.

Four pairs of eyes widen at me and two jaws drop.

"What? How do you know?" they ask in unison.

"First, look at the lid of the bottle, it's open and there are fingerprints on them and water droplets on the bottle. Second, do you notice how the bottle looks like it's moved because there's no dust while the whole slab is dusty? Third, watch where you're standing there are water drops near your feet on the ground" I sigh out.

The two of them take a minute to absorb.

"Well, damn Nancy Drew!" Justin comments.

"We have to move now, let's go" we hurry out.

There are sirens, they are very loud, which means they are close. My stomach churned as we neared the place where the siren sounds were coming from.

My knees buckled beneath and continuous tears stained my face as I took the scene before me......