Chapter 19: Clandestine Refuge: Shadows

I was sitting with a cup of steaming coffee in my hands, a blanket around me, and SpongeBob is playing on the T.V.

"Catherine, I want you to tell me what exactly did you hear on that boy- what's his name again?"

I'm currently at Leo's house. He's the one who helps me with this situation.

"Dean, his name is Dean. He's at my school. There something familiar about him like I've seen him somewhere before.

Anyways, the caller said, 'I'm on my way. Keep her distracted till I reach there.' And he cut the call. I saw his car coming when I was driving off." I explained.

"I'm confused. I thought they arrested him? So why was he there? Most importantly, why was he there?" I asked, irritated but probably confused.

Now he was in deep thought.

"Look, I don't know why or how he got there, but all I can suggest to you since he is here, this place is not safe. You can't be seen in public. So, obviously no school kiddo. Also, switch off your phone and you have to leave it here. You can go meet your dad, but tomorrow by early morning we'll leave for New Jersey." He pauses before continuing.

"We'll go to my Underground Fighting Gym. We have some rooms vacant so you'll stay there till I plan something regarding how to get you out of here. Once I get tickets for you to get out, you will live there with me. Ask your aunt to leave the town for a couple of weeks till I arrange something.

After that, you go pack your stuff, then go see your dad and meet me here at 12 pm, okay? Just remember to switch off your phone. It's 10 pm, move now." He explained.

"But what about my dad?" I ask.

"He's gonna be provided with special protection, okay kiddo?" I nod.

I turn around and say "Thanks for doing this Leo, I owe you my life."

I smile a teary smile "Yeah, yeah enough with the sappy shit, now run along" he waves it off.

On reaching my home, I quickly write a letter to my aunt and pack my stuff, with a sign, I switch my room's light and leave the house.

As I make my way towards my car, I'm greeted with Sterling sitting on his porch. We stare each other as he makes a move to talk, I quickly get in the car and drive off. I look in my rear-view mirror to see him looking my way completely puzzled.

I can't risk losing anyone again.......