Chapter- 27 : Family Turmoil Unveiled

When I woke up it was already morning, there was no sign of Sterling. After I got ready for school, prepared lunch, and got the kids ready. I drove them to school.

Sterling was not in school either, I saw Jesse "Hey, Chica" he greeted

"Hey, I was just wondering if you wanted to come over for a movie or something, Sterling is not there so we could have some fun, besides they would love you around. So...?"

"Are you really asking me to stop being with the most favorite people? Of course, I would love a night out." He replied sassily placing a hand on his hip. I chuckled at my dramatic friend.

Once the school got over, we bayed our byes to our friends before picking Lilly and Chase.

"Jes-Jes!!!" was the first the kids yelled when they got in the car.

"Angles!!!" he greeted back enthusiastically hugging them.

"Today we guys are going to have only fun, okay.... so, who's ready for some.... ICE CREAM!!!!" the kids happily yelled "YES!!" I smiled at their smiley faces.

Jesse placed Lilly on his shoulders while I gave Chase a piggyback ride.

After eating Ice cream, we went to the city fare. Where I surprisingly noticed Olivia, who was hiding behind a stall in weird clothing. What was she doing here? I thought.

The kids had a lot of fun. I was tired, so Jesse drove us home. Lilly and Chase were already tucked under each side of my neck, sleeping.

Once we reached Jesse helped me out of the car, I stood on Sterling's porch and turned as he tucked his hands in his jean pockets. "Thank you for today, we needed this," I said gratefully remembering Lilly and Chase's smiley faces.

"You don't need to thank me, Chica. I love spending time with kids, you know I have a soft spot for them." He ruffled my hair and gave a big kiss on my cheek.

I entered the house and jumped when I heard

"Had fun with your boyfriend?" he sneered.

Oh crap......

I ignored him and took the kids to their beds changed them into their pjs, tucked them, and kissed their foreheads.

"How dare you take them with you and that boy toy of yours?!!" his voice boomed.

I glared at him, what has gotten into him?

"ANSWER ME !!" He yelled at me.

"How dare me? How dare you? How dare you leave me and the kids without explanation? How dare you leave the kids alone?

How dare you leave us hanging? How dare you put all of this on me?" I screamed at him.

His eyes go soft for a second before they are cold again "That still doesn't explain why you exposed them; they could've been hurt while you would've been busy with that guy?" He said harshly and slammed his fist next to my head, into the wall.

I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by a whimper and a gasp. Our heads snapped in the direction from where the sound came from.

Lilly was standing with a hand over her mouth and her other gripped Chase's tightly as he weeps. Sterling quickly runs towards but they both wince away from him. Hurt flashed through his eyes, I flash a weak smile to assure them, but they run towards me hugging both of my legs.

"You're behaving just like daddy Ster-Ster, please don't hurt her. I like her." Lilly wails and Sterling flinches, his eyes hold pain as he tries to reach her, but she moves away from him.

A lump is formed in my throat as I bend down "It's okay guys, we were just discussing, nothing is wrong, he is your brother, you should not do this to him." I scold them lightly as they held their heads down in shame.

Then they run to Sterling hugging him "I'm sorry Ster-Ster" Lilly says. Chase also nods his head. Sterling hugs them back tearing up a little "I-it's okay guys, go back to sleep now."

They run back to me "I had fun today, thank you Cathy" Lilly cutely says and Chase nods his head again.

After we hear the door close, I ignore Sterling and make my way past him to the kitchen. I hear him sigh, and after a minute he is behind me

"Look Florence ...... I'm sorry I didn't know, and when I saw that boy, I thought you went on a date with him."

Hearing this I whirled around

"You don't get to jump on the conclusion, do you know that both cried last night thinking that, that man will take them away. And I saw the disappointment in their eyes when they noticed your absence today morning.

So, to cheer them up I asked Jesse to take us to the fare and it is not the first time he was hanging out with the kids in your absence.

Even Justin comes around to play with them when you're not here and you would know that.

So, spare me with the excuses as for Jesse he is gay, so I was definitely not on a date with him, also why would I take the kids even if were a date. I wouldn't even think of exposing them to any kind of danger and you of all people should be aware of that, knowing what I've been through." By the time I finished, I was panting. Without a word I nudged past him through the door out of his house, away from him, ignoring his calls.