Chapter - 30: Sterling's Confrontation with Olivia

It's been a week since Sterling told me about Olivia, a week since we saw him.

Lilly and Chase are living with their grandma. Yes, I met their grandma, and let me tell you, she's the best grandma someone will ever have. She's the cool grandma like Frankie from Gracie and Frankie show on Netflix.

We heard a red Chevrolet in 1960, blasting with music roll in our driveway. "Nana!" Sterling yells over the music to shut the stereo, but she's too busy talking to her date on her phone. She has a weird choice of wardrobe- wears khaki trousers with a colorful striped shirt and a large junk of unusual jewelry around her neck and a pair of combat boots

Finally slamming the stereo shut, Sterling hugs her grams in greeting, who is now finally off her phone.

"There's my favorite grandkid!" she exclaims as she throws Chase into the air, giving us all a mini heart attack while Chase giggles.

Then she showers Lilly's face with kisses, who giggles, pushing her away.

Taking out the keys of the ignition from her car, she finally notices me. "Which one of my grandkids are you? My, my, aren't you a beauty. I should've remembered you." She says in one breath, cutting me off. Sterling facepalms himself "No nana, she's my friend, and you would've known if you had listened to me on the phone instead of flirting with the receptionist of your hotel. And where'd you get the car?"

Ignoring Sterling's lecture, "I stole it from the hotel. Sweet ride, isn't it?" Nana answers.

Okay, I like her.

I see the kids gush how awesome it was what she did, while Sterling's jaw unhitches on the ground. "What?!! How could you do that?..."

Sterling keeps lecturing as we go into my house, but Nana keeps ignoring him. "This is not over," he mutters as she turns to me.

"Oh, what's your name, sweetie?"

"Catherine. Pleasure meeting you, don't mind Sterling, he's always been uptight. By the way, kudos to you, " I said, smiling wide.

She turns to Sterling, "I like this girl, where did you find her. She's so much cooler than you." We high-five each other. We chat for a while. I find out that she hates knitting and sitting alone. She'd rather go have a party on a beach or something. But she's great with kids. Often flirts with youngsters but in a totally platonic way. Doesn't care a damn about what others think, which I like the most about her.  Also, it's not so surprising knowing Jit- Jit'su. I totally loved her

"Grams, are you taking your medicines?"

"Oh, great news, the doctor said I don't need to take medicines anymore." She says happily, obviously bluffing. I contain a smile when Sterling looks at her in horror.

"No... I talked to your doctor yesterday, and he said no such thing," Sterling says sternly.

"Oh, that doctor doesn't know a thing about me," she waves him off

"Actually, he knows much more than you think because he's been our family doctor for ages... just please take your meds, grandma," he says frustratedly.

"Okay, okay, I'll take the damn pills, but you have to buy me gummy bears first, okay?" She looks at him expectantly.

"Okay." Sterling heaves a sigh.

"Then you got yourself a deal," Nana exclaims, grinning.

Hours pass, Nana finally takes the kids along with her because Sterling can't risk them while he's laying low.

A week has passed since Sterling has gone into hiding; I can't help but worry. There has been no contact with him since. My aunt is also busy working at the hospital, but whenever she's home, something is weird about her attitude. Every second minute, she looks towards her phone as if expecting someone is going to call her. Right now, we're sitting in the lounge, watching T.V. But just I get irritated by her continuously looking at her phone. I give up and say, "Are you -"

But get cut off by the sound of the phone ringing. She jumps off her seat, holding a finger up. She accepts the call, then mouths me shall talk later, and she's off. I wait for my aunt to return from the call. After an hour, I finally give up and go to sleep.

I wake up with sudden rapping on my window in the middle of the night. I got up from my bed to check what it was.

Of course. Only one person would knock on my window in the middle of the night.

"Sterling? What are you doing here? Someone will see you, I thought you were hiding well....? What happened to that? Plus tomorrow we have school, are you coming tomorrow too?  I'm going to confront Olivia tom-"

I was cut off by Sterling's hand on my mouth

"Shh.... Yes, I'm coming to school tomorrow, we'll confront her together, okay? Also, I'll answer your questions tomorrow. Just sleep for now."

We both got into bed, and I was out before I knew it.

The next day, I woke up, hearing the voices downstairs, I knew Sterling was up. I quickly got ready for school. I went downstairs to see everyone talking and laughing, I guess Nana dropped the kids back while I was sleeping.

Sterling was standing on the kitchen slab with a concentrated look, Lilly on his shoulder.

Finally, she managed to take out the pancake mix from the cupboard, but it slipped from her finger, the packet being open fell on Sterling, making me gloom, and I laughed out loud. Lilly and Chase soon noticed me and screamed my name. Chase ran towards me and hugged my legs while Lilly successfully managed to jump of Sterling's shoulder into my arms, causing me to lose his balance and fall backward.

"Lilly !!" he yelled and got up playfully, scowling and the little girl in my arms. She hid her face in my neck, chuckling.

He ran after the girl who jumped out of my hold and ran to hide behind the couch, Chase tugged on my shirt and flared his arms up, signaling me to hold him. I picked and placed him on my hip, chuckling as Sterling tickled Lilly, who was out of breath, watching his brother and sister. He giggled.

Hearing all the chaos we made, my aunt came out of their room, still in her pajamas with a horrified look.

"Catherine!!!" she yelled. And we were out the door, picking our bags we drove off to school, still laughing.