Chapter 17: Sterling's Painful Past

Flashback

"Come down Sterling, we're going downtown." My elder sister Amber shouts from downstairs.

I'm sitting on the ground beside my study table looking at the stars in the night sky. I am drawn out of my trance when I hear my big sister calls me.

I get up and go downstairs to see my sister and parents waiting for me. "Mommy, where are we going?" I asked her.

"Baby we're going downtown to get the painting I made for your birthday," she answered

"Really? "I ask.

She nods.

Something about her tells me that she's not okay. But I just ignore it.

After 5 minutes I notice my dad is driving on the wrong side of the road and the traffic coming from the other side is really fast, also my daddy is driving very fast on the highway.

"Daddy you are driving wrong and fast" I try to tell daddy. But he just laughs it off and says

"You are going to tell me how to drive kid? Huh?" Something about his tone is not right.

My mom's eyes are glossy and her hand is clenching the pendant around her neck. I look over to Amber to see she is very silent and looking at me with sad eyes. I got scared and was really confused.

I start yelling at daddy. "Daddy, it's not safe, we could get hurt."

But he harshly says "Shut your trap kid." I start to cry and-

It happens so suddenly.

Amber launches on me.

My seat is replaced by hers. While this happening, I look at mommy whose head is bleeding badly."Mommy!!" I cry out.

While she just takes out the pendant from her neck and places it on my open palm, then fists it and mouths "I love you, baby." Still smiling she closes her eyes.

I have tears in my eyes. I turn around to see Amber but she has her eyes closed and she is not breathing.

I cry hysterically and shake my mommy and sister

"I promise I'll be good, just please wake up." I watch daddy stumbles out of the car still crying ....

End of Flashback

"My mom and sister died on the spot but I and my father were saved. He came back after 3 days when we were saved from the accident.

One police officer dropped me home. When he came and saw me alive, he had this weird emotion in his eyes anger, disappointment, and frustration.

Since that day he used to beat me up saying it was my fault they died and it should've been me instead of them.

Then one day he turned up with Lilly saying that he was done with me and wanted to have kids who are all worth it.

Then my grandma adopted Chase saying it's what my mom wanted to do once I turned 16. One night my dad didn't come home, one night turned to two, two turned to weeks, and then months. Not that I care anyway" He finished.

Of course, he does. He just won't admit it whatever he has done to him he is his father after all. He will care for him forever, no matter how much he doesn't want to.

I noticed he had tears in his eyes and was fidgeting with the locket around his neck. I was rubbing soothing circles on his hands as mine was entwined with his.

He took out the locket. It was a symbol with eagle wings a bearded man on it. He opens it to reveal the pictures of the two most beautiful girls in it: his mom and older sister-Amber.

He has regret in his eyes. "You blame yourself for their death, don't you?" I finally speak up and don't realize that I'm crying until my voice comes out hoarse

I clear my throat and hastily wipe my tears so he doesn't notice me but unfortunately for me, he does and passes me a soft smile.

"Of course, I do. There's no reason not to," He replies to my question.

I shake my head. "Well! I think your father is an egghead and no offense but I think your father is the one to be blamed besides your mom and sister wouldn't want you to blame yourself, would they?" I console him.

"I know I try not to but whenever I see this, I immediately think Amber shouldn't have to swap seats with me," he says pointing towards the locket.

I squeeze his hand. He forces a smile. "After my dad disappeared to God knows where I joined the D.O., Deathly Omens. Everyone left me except them and Zander, I enjoyed it there until they asked me, small kids.

I felt bad and guilty that I leave my brother and sister back at home. I tried to leave but they wouldn't let me.

They shot me once but missed by an inch from my chest." He explains.

I stare at him. "Okay before I decide this is the most cliché thing, I've ever said I will just say that I'm here for you. Always. We all are. You are not alone."

He laughs softly and then stops, we stare at each other "Thank you, for being here"

"Anytime, " I whisper as I lean on his shoulder, I smile as he presses his lips against my head.