Chapter 09: Skipping Detention for Ice Cream

The next day when I walk downstairs, my aunt and Jesse are laughing over their breakfast. Once they notice me, my aunt comes rushing towards me as she embraces me in a soul-crushing hug. Pulling away "I'm okay, I'll explain later," I say. She looks at me "You better missy" says sternly wagging her finger at me. I nod chuckling before turning towards the boy who is confusedly staring at us. I smile at him shaking my head assuring everything is fine, even though it's not. I plop down next to him "So, how were your 2 days?" I ask him.

"They've been good, today I'm going back to my house, yesterday night my parents apologized for their behavior even though I'm certain they are going to do it again." He laughs before continuing "Thanks for letting me stay though" he says, rolling my eyes I remind him "What did I say about thank you?" He looks at me smiling with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "You said not to say thank you, I said thanks so really you can't pinch me," he says with a cheeky wink. "Cheeky bastard," I mutter as he laughs.

Once we reach school, I remember that I have to apologize to Sterling. I subconsciously fiddle with the rose necklace which I secured last night around my neck.

I find Sterling by his locker, exchanging books but as soon as his eyes land on me he slams the locker shut with a loud thud and storms away to his next class. I stomp to my math class, huffing I plop next to Justin. Noticing my mood, he looks over at me with a brow raised and I answer "Sterling has been ignoring me" he chuckles "And? Nothing new in that. Besides after you said those sweet words to him yesterday night he has every right to be mad." He says sarcastically. "Well, what did he expect? A hug? I think not. Not after the way he's been treating me with that cold attitude of his." I throwback.

Pursuing his lips, he considers what I just say "Yeah, you're right. Just let him be he'll get over it."

The rest of the day passes by with Sterling ignoring me and I keep trying to talk to him.

When the last class end, I quickly place my books in the locker as I rush to Sterling's next class. He was talking to Zander. I nervously walk towards them, fiddling with my necklace. Zander is the first one to notice me. He quickly gives Sterling a 'bro hug' before turning towards me and mouthing 'good luck' knowing my intentions.

Sterling turns around noticing me his eyes grow cold as he sides step me ignoring my calls. Finally having enough of his childish behavior, I yell "STERLING FREAKING JHONSON you stop

right there." Noticing that we were in the parking lot, most of the school had already left.

Turning around he looks at me with a cold look "What do you want? haven't you said enough? Oh, I get it. You want to add up-"

"I'm sorry" I cut him off. He freezes, his expression changes from cold to appalled "wh... what?" he stutters

Stifling a smile that was threatening to spill on my face I continue "I'm sorry I said those harsh words to you, I'm not really used to the fact someone else taking care of me apart from Leo and my aunt so...." I trail off before continuing "But you can't entirely blame me considering the fact you were so cold towards me from the very beginning" I finish. "I guess you're right. I too apologize for my behavior. So, you up for a coffee... we can compensate the time we've lost..." he trails off with a cheeky smile on his face. I laughed before nodding.

When we reached Daisy's café, I ordered a latte while Sterling orders black coffee with no sugar. Rolling my eyes at his choice I turn to pay but I'm yanked back by Sterling as he pays before taking our order and placing it on our table with me following him slowly. I look at him mirthless. "That wasn't necessary" he ignores me as he takes a sip of his coffee. I cringe. Noticing my disgusted expression, he laughs. "Well tell me about yourself," I say. "Well I don't think we have reached that stage yet Ms. Woods" he teases. Turning over my eyes, I urge him to go on.

"I like to play guitar, sometimes reading books and in my free time, I hang around with Zander. My dad is the CEO of the Johnson&Co. My mother and sister died when I was 4, I have two siblings one is 7 years old while one is still 3. I hate eating pizza with pineapple toppings" he shudders in disgust.

"Wow" I breathed as he finished the sorry "I'm so sorry for your loss," I say grieving. "It's fine" we sit in silence before I check the time. It's 7 pm. "I should probably go now" he nods. We head out of the café. He notices my bike and I don't miss the jealous look in his eyes before teasing him "jealous much?" he just rolls his eyes muttering a 'shut up'. Then we drive off.